Corsair Community

Question about RM850 cables

Blacksad

Hey guys!

I have an EVGA 3080 FTW coming soon, and it has 3 8 pin connectors. I recently purchased an RM850 PSU. I was going to get a custom cable to look nice with it, which is a combined 8+8+8 pin. For one of the choices, they ask to specify if you need Gen 3 or Gen 4 cables, which I wasn't sure about.

https://www.titanrig.com/pc-cables/custom-sleeved-pc-cables/power-supply-cables/corsairr-psu-cables/mod-one-custom-sleeved-corsairr-power-supply-cable-24-pin-pcie-0430mo013901on.html

Just wanted to make sure to get the proper cable type, as I know things can go south when you assume on these type of things.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

• Corsair Employee
Hey guys!

I have an EVGA 3080 FTW coming soon, and it has 3 8 pin connectors. I recently purchased an RM850 PSU. I was going to get a custom cable to look nice with it, which is a combined 8+8+8 pin. For one of the choices, they ask to specify if you need Gen 3 or Gen 4 cables, which I wasn't sure about.

https://www.titanrig.com/pc-cables/custom-sleeved-pc-cables/power-supply-cables/corsairr-psu-cables/mod-one-custom-sleeved-corsairr-power-supply-cable-24-pin-pcie-0430mo013901on.html

Just wanted to make sure to get the proper cable type, as I know things can go south when you assume on these type of things.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Type. Not Gen. The Gen number Corsair uses designates the type of sleeve. The Type is the pinout of the 24-pin.

I'm guessing 8-pin + 8-pin + 8-pin means 8-pin to the PSU and then two PCIe connectors.

If they're 18g, this doesn't bode well with me. Best to get three separate cables if they're using 18g wire.

Thanks for the reply!

Correct, my mistake. They ask Type 3 or Type 4.

It looks like it's 3 normal 8 pin PCIE cables, but with one piece of plastic holding them all together on the connecting end. I assume where they plug into the PSU it would be 3 separate PCIE plug ins like normal.

This is what they say about the wiring:

"The 2.4mm outside wire diameter 16awg and 2.3mm outside wire diameter on 18awg gives MOD-ONE custom cables a more robust look compared to other manufactures. MOD-ONE premium wire is designed for a superior cable training experience due to its construction, rigidity and form holding ability."

So, probably go with the normal 3 separate cables being they're 18awg?

• Corsair Employee
Thanks for the reply!

Correct, my mistake. They ask Type 3 or Type 4.

The newest RM uses Type 4

Thanks for the reply!

It looks like it's 3 normal 8 pin PCIE cables, but with one piece of plastic holding them all together on the connecting end. I assume where they plug into the PSU it would be 3 separate PCIE plug ins like normal.

That doesn't make sense. The connector on the PSU side is not PCIe. And I don't think I'd want to use a single cable that plugs into three different PCIe power ports.

This is what they say about the wiring:

"The 2.4mm outside wire diameter 16awg and 2.3mm outside wire diameter on 18awg gives MOD-ONE custom cables a more robust look compared to other manufactures. MOD-ONE premium wire is designed for a superior cable training experience due to its construction, rigidity and form holding ability."

So, probably go with the normal 3 separate cables being they're 18awg?

No. For PCIe, you want 16g. At least to the first connector.

Why don't you just contact them and see what they suggest?