Corsair Community

M5A78L-M LX Memory compatibility

Lazarus65

I had a custom built PC that I decided to upgrade. I went from an MSI GF615M-P33 with VS2GB1333D3 Corsair memory and an AMD Athlon II X2 245. Then I upgraded to an ASUS M5A78L-M LX with an AMD Athlon II X2 265. When I bought the ASUS I looked up the memory and CPU support on the ASUS support page. I thought since the memory I bought was a supported frequency it would be no problem, but I ran into some troubles. First I kept getting the blue screen when I tried to use the RAM. I finally had to set the RAM to 400MHz in the BIOS settings. Now when I look at the support page I can't find my motherboard model number. Could I have defective RAM or is just a compatibility issue? Also, which memory should I get to replace mine?

• Corsair Employee

The MB you have does not support DDR2 According to ASUS:

What is the part number of the memory you have installed?

2 x DIMM, Max. 16GB, DDR3 1866(O.C.)/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066 MHz ECC, Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory

Dual Channel Memory Architecture

* Refer to http://www.asus.com or user manual for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).

* Due to OS limitation, when installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows® 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB. Install a 64-bit Windows® OS when you want to install 4GB or more memory on the motherboard.

* AMD FX Series CPU on this motherboard supports up to DDR3 1866MHz as its standard memory frequency.

* AMD AM3 100 and 200 series CPU support up to DDR3 1066MHz.

• 1 year later...

Archived