Corsair Community

memory issue

bp001

I am relieved (and also not) to see that there is someone else having the same problem - to which I will be referring to as the COLD BOOT MISSING RAM problem.

I too have a P6T motherboard, flashed to the latest 1201 Firmware by ASUS.

I have the CORSAIR CMX6GX3M3A1333C9 KIT (2Gb X 3 modules).

After the computer is OFF for OVER 6 hours (2 hours doesn't work no), the Bios will report 4GB RAM instead of 6GB.

Very frikkin strange - if I restart the OS (which would also 'see' 4GB) then most of the time, the second 'warmer' boot will see 6GB and all will work fine. Any subsequent restarting will always return with 6GB as supposed to.

But then!!! If I leave the PC OFF for over 6 hours (ex: overnight), the next morning I switch the PC on, and BAM! 4GB RAM seen.

I tried the following to trouble shoot (with results indicated):

RESEATING PROCESSOR - NO EFFECT ON PROBLEM

RESEATING RAM - Unsure whether this had any effect - once I see 4GB, I switch COMPLETELY OFF and press the RAM (or reseat ram) and then 6GB are seen as before (until the next morning, after an overnight SWITCHED OFF).

BIOS UPDATES - Yes, using latest version as at 12/MAR/2010 from ASUS.

POWER SUPPLY - Using CORSAIR 850W power supply - Quality Product I must say!

SWAPPING RAM positions - NO EFFECT - Problem persists.

So, yesterday I tried the MEMTEST and left MEMTEST working on the PC. I made sure that 6GB were seen and started the memory testing program. (Those of you thinking "why didn't you do it earlier" - the answer is because MEMTEST takes so much time to do an 'effective' test, especially on 6GB ram!!!).

BAM!!! After around 1 to 2 hours into the MEMTEST testing, an ERROR popped up at a particular memory address. After 4 to 5 hours, 3 ERRORS popped up at the same memory address.

So! I decided to send back the RAM KIT CMX6GX3M3A1333C9 to the local store. He understood the situation and agreed with my troubleshooting methods and changed the WHOLE KIT for me this morning.

This morning I left MEMTEST working again on the NEW CORSAIR CMX6GX3M3A1333C9 KIT. I will let you know what happened. I will check it later tonight. MEMTEST would then have tested the ram for around 5 hours.

Wish me luck!!!

Future course of action - If memtest shows ERRORS again - next step is to change the CPU (Core i7 920)

First RESULTS ARE IN!

MEMTEST CONCLUDED ALL TESTS WITH 0 ERRORS! This is a first. With the 'old' Corsair kit, I had 3 errors on MEMTEST.

Left PC OFF for 4 hours - switched ON, 6GB recognised without problems.

I will test some more before declaring that the RAM was the problem.

Yepp!

Issue seems to be resolved. today PC spent 5 hours SWITCHED OFF. Upon starting, at BIOS level, ALL RAM MODULES (6GB) were recognised without a hitch immediately.

I can say that the issue has been resolved. The problem was faulty RAM Modules.

Corsair Team - Please take note.

Archived