Corsair Community

Corsair Vengeance 1500 humming sounds when recording

jamesgillre

Hi there, new to the corsair forums, although I have read many posts on here and got plenty of helpful information, thanks to all!

My problem is with my 1 year old Asus G53SW-A1 and my vengeance 1500 headphones. I have never used microphones until now with my equipment, but recently purchased the gaming headset (Corsair Vengeance 1500). I have exhausted all troubleshooting advice. But, I tested the ONBOARD microphone (on laptop) and it also has the same problem as the Corsair headset.

The problem is a 50Hz low humming sound when using the microphone. Playback of any recorded sounds or speech is horrible because of this humming sound on either the Corsair or the Onboard Mic. Could this be a ground loop problem or an issue with the G53SW power supply?

Incidently, the problem is resolved when AC adapter is removed and powered by battery only.

Any ideas anyone? Please help I have tried everything possible to resolve this.. Thanks in advance. I am considering changing the power supply and also maybe trying a USB powered hub. Would the powered hub remove any interference possibly generated by my laptop since it is self powered? Or could there be leakage from the laptop still?

Thanks.

• Corsair Employee
It sounds like there may be a grounding issue with your system when using the AC Adapter since the onboard microphone also has an issue. Have you tried the suggestion some people have posted here by decreasing the line in volume (no Corsair drivers installed) to see if this helps? If it doesn't, see if you can use the AC adapter at a different location to see if its isolated to that component or the power through your wall.

It sounds like there may be a grounding issue with your system when using the AC Adapter since the onboard microphone also has an issue. Have you tried the suggestion some people have posted here by decreasing the line in volume (no Corsair drivers installed) to see if this helps? If it doesn't, see if you can use the AC adapter at a different location to see if its isolated to that component or the power through your wall.

Yes I believe it was a grounding issue. I tried different wall sockets, and it didn't fix anything. Then rather than fiddling with the drivers, I decided to try a different cable connecting my laptop brick psu to the wall. This worked for the humming sound.

The difference is it is reduced the sound by at least 75%. It is still there faintly in the backgound, but probably acceptable.

The problem I have now is there is a "snowy white noise", I don't know if this is normal? Also in the windows recording device properties, there is 1 green bar always illuminated even when know sound is being transmitted to the mic. Is this a normal observation with the product or should I try resorting the the windows default driver and reduce the line in like you said initially?

Many thanks

EDIT: Just noticed my mic sensitivity was set to 100%. I tried reducing this to 50% and the sound quality during playback is much better with almost no audible abberations or distortions in the background. I guess this resolves the problem :)

Archived