Corsair Community

Corsair hx750i connections

RoninDevil

Hi,

I'm finding the power supply the most confusing part of building a PC. I may be just been dumb but but in my search to understand more it seem hard to fine full information for the complete beginner. My psu has a bunch of sockets with 8 pins an 6 pins, are all the 6 pin sockets the same and all of the 8 pin sockets the same? I originally had the CPU plugged into the socket marked CPU and the GPU plugged into the socket next to it as that also had 8 pins but I moved the GPU to a socket below as I was unsure if the sockets had specific purposes and different power outputs, wasn't sure if all of the 8 pin sockets were pcie or if the two at the top were specific for CPU.

The specs also confuse me, it says things like 12 Sata and 6 pcie connections but there are not that number Of connections, does it mean more devices connected by one cable? How many can be connected by each cable, does the psu just supply what is necessary to each socket?

I do feel stupid, I'm just trying to get it all right and not blow anything up :)

Thank you :)

• Corsair Employee

All of the 6-pins are the same.

All of the 8-pins are the same.

The 6-pin connectors are for SATA and Molex.

The 8-pin connectors are for the CPU and PCIe.

When the documentation says there's "12 SATA" that's the number of connectors, not the number of cables. So if you have one cable with four SATA connectors, that's "4x SATA". That one cable would just plug into one of the 6-pin connectors on the PSU.

Archived