Corsair Community

Corsair 780t cooling

tearsimmortal

Hello,

I have a Corsair 780t gaming computer that I use for gaming. So far it has been running cool/air/fan from the fans. What should I do to improve the temp inside of the case? Here's some photos of the fans and inside of the case.

The current hardware list is: MSI Godlike X99A Godlike motherboard, Intel 5930k 3.5 over clocked to 4.2ghz, Corsair Dominator 2666 32GB, Corsair AX1200 power supply, LG Bluray cd, dvd rw, Western Digital 2TB HD, Samsung EVO 250GB ssd, MSI 980 GTX TI 6GB video card and also the Corsair H110I GTX 240mm radiator with four total fans two on top and two on bottom plus the two in front of the case.

I was thinking about taking the two Corsair radiators off the top of the radiator and install them where though? There is hardly ever dust inside of my computer.

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b471/floridabeachguy/GamingComputer/IMG_4174_zpssqvx1yyr.jpg

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b471/floridabeachguy/GamingComputer/IMG_4179_zpswdk9edqe.jpg

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b471/floridabeachguy/GamingComputer/IMG_4176_zps1o85owvw.jpg

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b471/floridabeachguy/GamingComputer/IMG_4177_zpsj37liins.jpg

Now, nobody thinks their case is dusty, but the pictures show a different story. You have some definite build up on the radiator that is likely having some effect, although I doubt crippling. Even on the motherboard, that dust will cause much higher surface temperatures. It is probably time to blow some of that out of there.

Are you having a specific cooling problem? There is nothing wrong with the fan set-up and it is likely the general way I would do it. Yes, you could take those top SP140 LEDs off the radiator. The A14 industrial is plenty of fan all on its own and I don't need more than 1000 rpm in normal use for my with a 280mm and 5930K@4.5GHz/1.28v. With the push-pull you have now, I suspect you could cap the fans at 800 rpm and get the full benefit.

The only other place to put fans would be the bottom of the case and it is HDD dependent. I believe those are 120x2 slots, so the SP140 LED won't slide in there.

The only other thing you could do is trade out the 140x2 in the front for 120x3. Normally, I am not sure this is a good swap on a 780T, however I suspect the issue you have is general case temperatures when under the GPU load from the typically volcanic 980 Ti. 3 hybrid 120mm fans in theory can push more air through the case than 140x2 and in a more focused manner. It might help with top of the card temperatures and get that heat out the back, instead of out through the top. Your dust pattern suggests you might be running the top radiator fans too hard. More intake air might balance things out. Someone else was asking general questions about the 780T and there is more discussion here.

Now, nobody thinks their case is dusty, but the pictures show a different story. You have some definite build up on the radiator that is likely having some effect, although I doubt crippling. Even on the motherboard, that dust will cause much higher surface temperatures. It is probably time to blow some of that out of there.

Are you having a specific cooling problem? There is nothing wrong with the fan set-up and it is likely the general way I would do it. Yes, you could take those top SP140 LEDs off the radiator. The A14 industrial is plenty of fan all on its own and I don't need more than 1000 rpm in normal use for my with a 280mm and 5930K@4.5GHz/1.28v. With the push-pull you have now, I suspect you could cap the fans at 800 rpm and get the full benefit.

The only other place to put fans would be the bottom of the case and it is HDD dependent. I believe those are 120x2 slots, so the SP140 LED won't slide in there.

The only other thing you could do is trade out the 140x2 in the front for 120x3. Normally, I am not sure this is a good swap on a 780T, however I suspect the issue you have is general case temperatures when under the GPU load from the typically volcanic 980 Ti. 3 hybrid 120mm fans in theory can push more air through the case than 140x2 and in a more focused manner. It might help with top of the card temperatures and get that heat out the back, instead of out through the top. Your dust pattern suggests you might be running the top radiator fans too hard. More intake air might balance things out. Someone else was asking general questions about the 780T and there is more discussion here.

Thank you for your reply. My computer doesn't have an heating issue or over heating which is a great. I plan on having my computer hardware cleaned tomorrow while having the NZXT Hue+ installed. I am thinking as well is to remove the SP140's off the radiator since the A14 fans are doing the job by themselves. Do you think in the long run I should remove or keep the fans on top of the radiator to work with the A14 fans?

The only reason to keep them would be to preserve the red glow from the top. They probably aren't hurting anything either, however you do want to keep them relatively close to the same speed as the A14i's, otherwise they will become part of the resistance to the Noctuas. If control isn't an issue, you can leave them. If you think there is a little too much fan noise from the top, that might take care of it. The SP140 LEDs will have a slightly coarse sound when inverted.

The only reason to keep them would be to preserve the red glow from the top. They probably aren't hurting anything either, however you do want to keep them relatively close to the same speed as the A14i's, otherwise they will become part of the resistance to the Noctuas. If control isn't an issue, you can leave them. If you think there is a little too much fan noise from the top, that might take care of it. The SP140 LEDs will have a slightly coarse sound when inverted.

The noise doesn't really bother me at all since I have the fan switch on top of the case to let me turn the fan speed to low, medium or high speed. What app/program is good to help control the fan speeds? Corsair Link or some other program? Also, will it make a difference in cold/cool air wise to leave the two front 140's than to switch them out for three 120's? :biggrin:

Archived