Corsair Community

TX650M buzzing

Giorgos K

Hi, i recently bought a tx650m psu and it has some coil whine. It is not very loud but it is kind of annoying when i'm without headphones. The whine won't go away even when the pc is closed (it just quietens). Can it be harmful? Is there a possibility of it to go away over time, or it will get worse?

• Corsair Employee
I mean when windows is shut down, i suppose the psu is still on in order to supply the usb's. If i upgrade my pc in the future (swap every component except psu and case actually), the whine will become louder, or possibly quieten/dissapear?

Start unplugging USB devices to see if the buzzing changes or goes away.

My kid's PC buzzes all of the time. Turned out to be a USB hub we were using.

I tried it, it wasn't that unfortunately. I was really hoping that it would be something like that, a usb device or another component (that by swaping them, the whine would stop, because I intent to swap my hole pc except psu and case in the next few months) but it doesn't seem to be the case. Is there really a chance that by swapping cpu/mobo/ram/gpu the whine goes away, or it has nothing to do with it?

• Corsair Employee
I tried it, it wasn't that unfortunately. I was really hoping that it would be something like that, a usb device or another component (that by swaping them, the whine would stop, because I intent to swap my hole pc except psu and case in the next few months) but it doesn't seem to be the case. Is there really a chance that by swapping cpu/mobo/ram/gpu the whine goes away, or it has nothing to do with it?

I find coil whine is usually completely dependent on the load on the PSU.

See, the PSU's switching frequency changes with load. Sometimes this frequency drops down to an audible level and we hear it as buzzing or whining. So, depending on the load and where that load is (what rail) the noise can vary from build to build.

Thanks for your answers man. Today I decided to RMA it because the buzz became louder. Does the retailer I purchased it from has to get involved, or can I send it directly to you (after my rma request gets approved)? I live in Greece do you know where is the closest RMA receiving location (so ican see what it will cost me)? I haven't sent an rma request yet but I am about to do it on Monday.

• Corsair Employee
Thanks for your answers man. Today I decided to RMA it because the buzz became louder. Does the retailer I purchased it from has to get involved, or can I send it directly to you (after my rma request gets approved)? I live in Greece do you know where is the closest RMA receiving location (so ican see what it will cost me)? I haven't sent an rma request yet but I am about to do it on Monday.

You can either exchange it at the retailer in Greece or send it back to Corsair after filling out this form: https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

• Corsair Employee
One last question. If I do it with the retailer, do i still need to request an rma from corsair, or i just talk to the store and just send it back to them?

No. You just exchange it through the store. Corsair doesn't have to get involved. In the EU, consumer laws protect users by requiring resellers to support product for up to two years without having to go to the manufacturer.

The only thing I would worry about is if the reseller DOES NOT have a replacement. Then they would probably wait to get a replacement from Corsair which would cause a delay. If that's the case, you would want to contact Corsair.

The only thing you're going to be able to get out of these forums is conjecture. You should be discussing these things with the retailer. Tell them you have a PSU with an undesirable buzz, make sure they have a replacement and then ask them for an exchange. If they don't have a replacement, contact Corsair.