Corsair Community

Obsidian 800D USB3 front panel

levicki

I don't recall them having any stock. (Although, if there was, they’re not required to continue to make design changes to it.)

I am talking about design changes to ACCESSORIES (since USB 3.0 front panel is being sold as an accessory), not to the case itself. Like, you know, that SATA backplane which they have completely redesigned?

Running the cable through the case doesn’t change its electrical properties.

Except that the cable running through the case is susceptible to more interference from the other high-power components running at high frequencies (CPU, GPU, VRMs, power MOSFETs, etc) and that is why its length should be shorter to ensure singnal integrity. So you are wrong again. But to understand that you need to have a grasp on electronics and physics which you obviously don't.

Now we’re getting somewhere. Since you concede that it was an acceptable design with it was first produced, has it occurred to you that the cases made at that time are probably all the cases that were ever made?

And once again, I am talking about an accessory.

If they don't want to change the cases they have in stock (assuming they no longer manufacture them which I doubt since it is still their flagship case), fine -- people have an option to not buy the case or pick another.

If they want me to spend $15 on a USB 3.0 accessory to get front USB 3.0, fine -- I will gladly pay (like I did).

But if they want me to accept a $15 extension cable which runs through my whole case, blocks the grommet designed for liquid cooling to get out of the case and plugs into the back of the mainboard wasting two much needed ports there to bring them to the front -- HELL, NO.

And why wouldn’t the USB 3.0 PCI bracket solution work for this application?

Umm... because I want to have additional USB 3.0 ports on the front of the case instead of existing USB 2.0? That was the point of upgrading the front panel anyway, wasn't it?

If you really want to try to get a USB3 panel with an internal connector, I’d recommend getting in contact with the guys at moddyit.com and inquiry about get the cables re-terminated. They have access to the supply chain, familiarity with Corsair products and a skilled labor force. Make your pitch about the size of the market for updated USB3 cables to them and perhaps they might setup a service to do it.

This is the first usefull thing you have said so far.

Sorry, but you create, as we say here, an elephant out of a mosquito... Or, in other words, you make way too much out of a minor problem.

To me it is a problem. Should I just keep quiet and line up to buy more crap like this? People should know what they are getting.

I guess you had some common sense to check the product before you ordered it...

I did check in the Corsair's online shop. The information and picture where pass through cables are visible are in a blog post, not there. You can't expect people to read company blogs in order to learn technical specifications and see product pictures, that should be clearly visible in the store which it wasn't at the time of purchase.

1. simply ask someone who knew the product if the description is/was unclear.

I don't know anyone "who knew the product".

2. look for an information about a change? Usually something like this would be found somewhere in the description of the product. If not: #1 again.

It was not in the description in the online store at the time of purchase.

3. simply open a ticket in the first place?

And what, they would let me RMA it or refund me?

Shipping the package with this damn thing, case door for HDDs, and SATA backplane via Fedex from a friend in the USA to whose address I had to order since Corsair doesn't ship internationally (at least not to Serbia), cost me an additional 107 USD. Who is going to refund that?

Last thing (and thats why i call it a minor problem): you can easily get a small adapter here in Europe that fixes your problem. And it will only cost you 5,63€ (including tax and shipment).

I shouldn't have to spend more money to "fix" the new problem which Corsair's accessory supposed to fix the original problem has introduced.

I am talking about design changes to ACCESSORIES (since USB 3.0 front panel is being sold as an accessory), not to the case itself. Like, you know, that SATA backplane which they have completely redesigned?

I'm sure that both of these were produced at the same time as the updated case, (and probably at one time and never after that.) Corsair would need to produce addition supplies for warranty spares and probably decided to produce some extras since the unit price would be low enough to make it reasonable to sell them as accessory. They're probably all from those first lots.

Redesigning a new USB 3.0 connector after the case was out of production would be expensive, particularly considering the small number of sales they could expect.

Except that the cable running through the case is susceptible to more interference from the other high-power components running at high frequencies (CPU, GPU, VRMs, power MOSFETs, etc) and that is why its length should be shorter to ensure singnal integrity. So you are wrong again. But to understand that you need to have a grasp on electronics and physics which you obviously don't.

And you seen to have a problem understanding time. When these cables can out there were NO internal cable specifications and no internal cables. If you wanted a case with front panel connectors, this was the solution. All cases with front panel connectors used this method. The cables are also shielded and substantially heavier than the later internal cables and running it behind the motherboard tray should reduce the risk even more.

But if they want me to accept a $15 extension cable which runs through my whole case, blocks the grommet designed for liquid cooling...

Ha! Does anyone actually use these any more? Talk about compromising esthetics.

Umm... because I want to have additional USB 3.0 ports on the front of the case instead of existing USB 2.0? That was the point of upgrading the front panel anyway, wasn't it?

If you install a USB 3.0 PCI Bracket to connect to your motherboard header and provide rear 2 USB 3.0 ports and use the rear motherboard ports to support the front panel USB 3.0, doesn't that solve your problem?

The 650D has the same outdated pass-through USB 3.0 connection. I read somewhere once can swap out the header from a 350D front connector assembly into the 650D's front connector assembly so I bought one and was able to make the swap. I don't know if that would work for the 800D but it's something to look into.

Since Corsair has the correct parts, I can't understand why they wouldn't upgrade the Front USB 3.0 connection. People have asked for it but Corsair never did it.

The Panels were designed and made while the old 800d's were still supported and was the best option at the time as all motherboards then only had rear USB 3's , this is now an old case and apart from RMA tickets nothing is being done as there are newer cases out . This is a non-issue as earlier in this trail , a convertor can be bought and still present to board USB 3 connection and works fine as I have had this in my 800d for a while , it was also not a surprise for me to find this was how it was shipped , 2 minutes of checking on-line would have shown the cables / connectors before blindly pushing the buy now . The 800d still is a good case but is now outmoded in many areas so either change it up or go for something from current cases from any supplier , personally I'm going for either a Luxe or Primo , just waiting for the prior to start shipping to see which I prefer , seems all other case builders can go home as these are very well thought out cases with a lot of " out of the box " ( pun intended ) thinking .

• 3 weeks later...
... lengthy diatribe about me not understanding time...

I will skip replying to that part of your post since you obviously believe that the time itself has stopped once Corsair has released their first USB 3.0 front panel.

If you install a USB 3.0 PCI Bracket to connect to your motherboard header and provide rear 2 USB 3.0 ports and use the rear motherboard ports to support the front panel USB 3.0, doesn't that solve your problem?

Assuming that I have a free PCI bracket?

Yes, it solves the problem by running a PCI bracket cable over the motherboard to the back side of case, another cable that pokes out of grommet and goes back into mainboard USB ports and at an additional cost. If that is a solution for you then I have a bridge to sell you in African desert.

The 650D has the same outdated pass-through USB 3.0 connection. I read somewhere once can swap out the header from a 350D front connector assembly into the 650D's front connector assembly so I bought one and was able to make the swap. I don't know if that would work for the 800D but it's something to look into.

Since Corsair has the correct parts, I can't understand why they wouldn't upgrade the Front USB 3.0 connection. People have asked for it but Corsair never did it.

Thank you for this post. I will look into it, but after this experience I am quite reluctant to give more money to Corsair.

@andyvee:

I am waiting for someone from Corsair to confirm what you are saying about 800D not being supported or at least to see a big fat "DISCONTINUED" in their web store next to it.

Until then I will consider their selling of this accessory as flat out cheating.

Bottom line -- I should not need to spend more money to "solve" the problem this accessory was supposed to solve.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a 350D harness and upgraded my 650D connectors, (mostly to see what was involved. I sold my 800D with the USB3 upgrade, but if it's like the USB2 panel, (and I recall that it is), the cables are soldered to a custom pcb.

The new system is pretty cool, and a lot easier to upgrade. Was the post you saw for the 350D panel from the linustechtips forum?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/61545-corsair-650d-front-panel-usb-30-mod-help/#entry910821

I wanted to post pictures to show people what is involved, (since I wasn't able to find any online), and would want to attribute the correct source. I got the idea from you, but I also want to also credit the person you got the idea from.

I bought a 350D harness and upgraded my 650D connectors, (mostly to see what was involved. I sold my 800D with the USB3 upgrade, but if it's like the USB2 panel, (and I recall that it is), the cables are soldered to a custom pcb.

The new system is pretty cool, and a lot easier to upgrade. Was the post you saw for the 350D panel from the linustechtips forum?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/61545-corsair-650d-front-panel-usb-30-mod-help/#entry910821

I wanted to post pictures to show people what is involved, (since I wasn't able to find any online), and would want to attribute the correct source. I got the idea from you, but I also want to also credit the person you got the idea from.

Several people made the suggestion in this thread on Overclock.net. For pictures of how I did the swap, see this thread, starting on post #23.

Thanks for the information, (and the suggestion itself.) It's amazing that I couldn't find this information when I searched for it. You'd think that "350D AND 650D AND USB" would have found that thread?

Perhaps, you could add some search tags to help other users find it easier, or better yet, post a how-to on the Corsair forum. I'm sure Wired will sticky-it in a second. (Of course the 350D panels will sell out in 10 minutes:))

I certain don't need to do anything at this point, you have it covered. Thanks, for the idea.

@levicki

I hear you on all fronts man.

I am very disappointed in Corsair also because it lacks of proper support of their products.

Also the build quality is rather poor because all my Corsair products could not last longer than one year... first thing is the bend plastic window of my 650D that needs to be replaced and fortunately that was done pretty fast.

Than came my H100I cooler, the fans make an terrible noise and yet again i did an RMA and within one week i had new ones.

The third thing was that the LED on the CPU cooler stopped showing the blue color witch is my theme on my build. The answer was that i have to RMA my cooler to them and if they have it they will ship a new one to me.

So i have to wait for more than 2 weeks before i can use my PC again witch is not an option since i work and earn money with my PC so it costs me money.

Than my cooler shows little hair cracks on the outer tubing and i am worried about leakage but they don't care and i still have to send my cooler to them. I also contacted Corsair George personally but that did not help either.

Now my USB 3.0 extension panel on the front does not work anymore along the front io panel.

To me that is simply unacceptable.

I don't buy any Corsair products again and if i talk to someone who has plans buying one of their products i simply cannot recommend it and tell them what i had with products of Corsair.

Archived