Corsair Community

Possibly faulty PSU

sum1quiet

I've got an AX850 that I bought just under a year ago, and it's currently powering my recently built Haswell system. It has been working fine for a while, but recently I've had a problem where pressing the on button on my PC wouldn't start the machine.

To make sure it wasn't the button itself, I tried with the Start button on the motherboard but that didn't work either. I then thought, maybe it's the motherboard, so I disconnected everything and only tried to power the PSU with a paperclip and a fan connected to simulate some load. It powered the fan, but when I took out the paperclip and reconnected it a few seconds later, it would not start again. I needed to wait for about a minute before reconnecting the paperclip to have the PSU power up and power the fan.

So, after confirming the power supply worked to a degree, I turned it off and connected up everything and powered on my machine, and it worked! Great, I thought. Ever since that day though, I've had occasional problems turning my PC on in the morning. Most of the time when I press the on button I have to wait a couple of seconds before it starts powering up and today, for example, it just wouldn't start at all so I unplugged it and left it for a while. It started after that.

Given the problems I was having when not connected through the motherboard but simply powering a fan and not toggling on and off properly, does this seem like an issue with the PSU? I don't have a spare one to test with at the moment and now is really not a good time to buy another to check with. Would very much appreciate the input of one of the Corsair reps.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your reply, peanutz.

Can you or anyone at Corsair confirm the expected behaviour of one of these power supplies when using the paperclip method, as in, should it always turn on and off if you toggle it with 1 second intervals? Or is there some kind of built in "intelligence" preventing that?

Thanks

If your toggling it that fast i couldn't tell you. I'm not sure why you would. It certainly not any kind of reliable test. I would tend to think the relays inside would take a second or two to respond since there is a slight delay when turning the PSU on anyway. And a short delay when turned back off.

The fan should spin for a second then shut down until needed.

But I wouldn't base your troubleshooting on the fan function. So even if the fan acts normal it's not an indicator of a good/bad PSU. But the type of failure you reported in your OP has happened a few times and why i suggested to RMA it.

• 1 month later...

OK, thanks for your insight. This problem has continued to happen and I haven't been able to return it over Christmas as I've just moved house. Often, the only way I can make it turn on is to turn off the power supply, wait a few seconds, hold down the power button then turn the PSU on.

I'll raise a ticket.

Archived