Corsair Community

620HX Dead? May need replacement

Jethrodesign

Hi,

I got a 620HX power supply in 2007 for my custom built computer. It's ran pretty faithfully for years.

But a couple nights ago, while just reading a Web page, the computer instantly shut down. Thought it was a power outage, but other things still on. Since then, computer will not power on - no noise, fans, lights, etc. Dead.

I plugged it into other outlet, but no luck. When I look inside, I notice that the small LED on the motherboard IS lit up, though. So I tried shorting the green & black wires as mentioned elsewhere. Nothing.

- Is the PSU most likely dead, even though the LED does come on when it's turned on?

- If it is most likely the PSU, is there a similar model these days that would use the same modular connectors so I don't have to rewire the entire thing?

Thanks. Not sure what else to check.

- Is the PSU most likely dead, even though the LED does come on when it's turned on?

Most likely it is. Unless the board went which is also a possibility. But i would definitely start with replacing the PSU first.

- If it is most likely the PSU, is there a similar model these days that would use the same modular connectors so I don't have to rewire the entire thing?

Sorry , no there is not.

Hmm. So the TX650M and the HX650, which are both modular, use different connectors than the 620HX used? Why would they change the connector types on upgraded models?

That would be a bit of a bummer, as everything is nicely routed & tied up.

If I do get one of these 2 newer models, what would be the quickest way to test before connecting everything (what minimum would I need to connect)?

Thanks! I saw the TX650M available locally so I could get it today. I suppose if I have to swap all cables anyway, I might be open to a better model if there are any recommendations.

Hmm. So the TX650M and the HX650, which are both modular, use different connectors than the 620HX used? Why would they change the connector types on upgraded models?

That is correct. As to why..they were made by different OEM's.

If I do get one of these 2 newer models, what would be the quickest way to test before connecting everything (what minimum would I need to connect)?

Run the paper clip test found here. It will walk you through starting it outside the case.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=63991

Archived