Corsair Community

I have a DISK DRIVE (SSD) problem in the BOOT RECORD.....

irvsp

OK, it seems my W8 system is possibly in a bit of trouble...

My OS is on my SSD, the F115GB2-A (C:)

I ran CHKDSK on my C: drive, and at the end saw this :

=============

Errors detected in the Boot File.

Windows has checked the file system and found problems.

Please run chkdsk /scan to find the problems and queue them for repair.

==============

Hmm, system boots just fine and I appear to have NO errors. I am on an SSD and it is quite possible that I did 'mess up' something in the boot record when I migrated a large partition that was bootable into the much smaller SSD partition.

So I ran CHKDSK /SCAN... BIG MISTAKE...

At the end it asked to cue it up to check the disk on boot. I allowed it. It ran and then started a troubleshooter, which ran PC Diagnostics and then a message that it could take up to 1 hour to fix. Almost instantly the system rebooted, AND ran chkdsk again. Off it went to the troubleshooter... and it just continued in this loop.

OK, I did break the loop and got an screen with options... one was to go into W8 directly, and again, the loop started up again. Argh... broke into it and I had other options, REFRESH, RESTORE, or shutdown. OK, Shutdown.... nope, power on started the loop again...

UGLY... so I did a REFRESH basically losing installed non-MS store programs. No problem, I've got an IMAGE.

When it was restored, it was OK on CHKDSK... and the few Store apps (Live Tiles) that didn't run before did... good.

Then I restored my image, and poof, CHKDSK shows the error again.

CAN NOT find anything about this message on the web?

Thinking the MBR could be 'damaged'? There are programs to fix that and the boot record, but I'm not about to try this as it could break me?

HELP and SUGGESTIONS appreciated...

Windows 8 remember. Ran CHKNTFS and the FS is OK and the disk is NOT dirty....

The image was from the SSD made a day before, obviously the problem was in the image's boot record I assume. I use Symantec's System Restore 2013.

The SSD was created almost a year ago on W7. Original OS was on a 400GB partition. I did have some problems getting it cloned over. But I never had a CHKDSK problem before. It could be W8 specific.

So can I fix this? I was thinking BOOTREC /FIXMBR but I'm on W8 and I don't think it is for it?

I think I'd like to fix it just in case I need to run CHKDSK?

I did run programs that test the MBR and all say it is OK?

MBRCHECK is one, got these results :

================

\\.\C: --> \\.\PhysicalDrive0 at offset 0x00000000`00100000 (NTFS)

\\.\D: --> \\.\PhysicalDrive2 at offset 0x00000000`04700000 (NTFS)

\\.\K: --> \\.\PhysicalDrive2 at offset 0x0000002e`aae00000 (NTFS)

\\.\L: --> \\.\PhysicalDrive1 at offset 0x00000000`00100000 (NTFS)

\\.\X: --> \\.\PhysicalDrive2 at offset 0x00000003`c4700000 (NTFS)

PhysicalDrive0 Model Number: CorsairCSSD-F115GB2-A, Rev: 2.4

PhysicalDrive2 Model Number: WDCWD7501AALS-75J7B0, Rev: 05.00K05

PhysicalDrive1 Model Number: ST31000528AS, Rev: CC34

Size Device Name MBR Status

--------------------------------------------

107 GB \\.\PhysicalDrive0 Windows 7 MBR code detected

SHA1: 4379A3D43019B46FA357F7DD6A53B45A3CA8FB79

698 GB \\.\PhysicalDrive2 Windows 7 MBR code detected

SHA1: 4379A3D43019B46FA357F7DD6A53B45A3CA8FB79

931 GB \\.\PhysicalDrive1 Windows 98 MBR code detected

SHA1: 48F01D7E76A0F3C038D08611E3FDC0EE4EF9FD3E

=================

Drive 2 is what the old OS is, CHKDSK ran fine on that drive?

I've seen the link for the tutorial, and also http://www.techspot.com/guides/630-windows-8-boot-fix/ but both basically say it is for problems booting. I do NOT have that problem.

Since I did a system REFRESH and CHKDSK worked fine, and then put the image I had back, the problem reappeared, wouldn't that happen again, even after Parted Magic was used?

If you look at http://windows8themes.org/using-bootrec-exe-to-fix-mbr-in-windows-8-master-boot-record.html it might be the BOOT SECTOR, not the MBR, that has a problem? BOOTSECT.EXE should fix that, but it isn't for W8 it appears? I do have it in WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 but this computer started at VISTA, then W7, and now W8. However BOOTSECT.EXE has a date of 7/25/2012?

I also have this, http://www.wondershare.com/boot-cd/ and it says it will repair both the MBR and BOOT RECORD, but it doesn't say it supports W8, which I believe it has some of this changed?

I think one of the problems might be that the old drive I cloned from was a multi-partition drive and the SSD is a single one. It is possible during the clone the old partition table was copied over and it shows more than one?

I just don't want to really mess things up. I do have that image though, so I want to take this slow and make sure what I do do will work.

There might be a problem with the image file or the way the drive is being re imaged.

I had run the same program (MBRCHECK) and it was detected Windows 8 as a Windows 7 MBR Code with the same SHA1 as you. The program is probably not compatible with Windows 8.

There might be a problem with the image file or the way the drive is being re imaged.

I had run the same program (MBRCHECK) and it was detected Windows 8 as a Windows 7 MBR Code with the same SHA1 as you. The program is probably not compatible with Windows 8.

I did check the Wondershare site and its program does support W8. Still reluctant to use it? Not sure if there is really a problem or not? The Wondershare boot disk can run CHKDSK, but it uses W7's PE. It completed without any errors.

Since a REFRESH didn't have the CHKDSK problem but a restore of my image did, it has to be in the image, but I don't know how to stop that from happening? I was thinking of saving away the MBR and BOOT SECTOR after a REFRESH, restore the image and then the save MBR and BOOT SECTOR, but I'm not even sure I have a real problem as I can boot OK?

I was talking about MBRCHECK

I would try the tutorials you posted in #5 to see if it helps. it may not sound like your issue but it doesn't hurt to try as you do have the image file.

OK, bit the bullet, used the W8 Install CD and got to a COMMAND PROMPT.

Ran CHKDSK C: and got the same error, then did BOOTREC /FIXMBR and reran CHKDSK, same error, next did BOOTREC /FIXBOOT and re-ran CHKDSK, same error? Ran CHKDSK C: /SCAN and got a little more info...

Save the output from the W8 Install boot, from CHKDSK C:

=====================

Errors detected in the Boot File.

Windows has checked the file system and found problems.

Please run chkdsk /scan to find the problems and queue them for repair.

======================

From CHKDSK C: /SCAN

=================

The type of the file system is NTFS.

A function call was made when the object was in an incorrect state

for that function

A snapshot error occured while scanning this drive. Run an offline scan and fix.

Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50.

================

Note the LAST line, and I assumed it meant it put some info into the EVENT log!

So I restarted the computer and ran CHKDSK again for an elevated command prompt.

Got this tidbit,

=============

C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk /scan

The type of the file system is NTFS.

Volume label is OS.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...

"chkdsk /scan" is aborting due to corruption found in the $Boot file.

"chkdsk /f" will be required to repair the volume.

================

$BOOT file!!! That is a backup one of the Meta NTFS files I think? Can't find much info on it though on the web nor these 'error' messages? None in the Event Viewer either?

Confused?

No, too much data is on the C: especially the registry entries for programs on the other drives. With this computer being almost 4 yeas old, it would probably be impossible to locate all the licenses and re-install files needed to bring me back to where I am after a clean install.

At this point I think my only choice is to leave it. If I should reach a point where the computer is no longer operational, then the clean install has to be done.

• 1 month later...

Archived