Corsair Community

New memory, help!

fxc2

Hey guys, new here.

I've been putting a new rig together for the past few months now bit by bit and pretty much the only thing I've left to upgrade is the RAM. I'm still using very standard low-profile 4x4Gb 1333MHz memory since my current motherboard couldn't fit anything larger under the CPU cooler at the time. With the H100i that time is past, however.

Having had some bad past experiences with memory compatibility, I would like to have some professional advice on the matter. Could I get the Corsair Dominator Platinum? I don't really 'need' more than 8Gb, but should I populate 4 slots just to benefit from Quad-Channel? Should I get 1600MHz 8CL or 1866MHz 9CL?

I'd very much like to hear your opinions.

Asus P9X79

Intel Core i7 3820

. Could I get the Corsair Dominator Platinum? I don't really 'need' more than 8Gb, but should I populate 4 slots just to benefit from Quad-Channel?

Absolutly, you should take advantage of it. Why wouldn't you make use of the MB/CPU's full potential?

But to answer your original question, yes , you could use the Platinum 1600 or 1866mhz kits.

But what's the actual difference between dual- and quad-channel? Does quad-channel still benefit me if I'm not even using more than 8Gb at any given time? Also are there actually any 4x4Gb 1600 kits available with CL8?

Basic analogy, although it's a little more complicated is that you can move more data over a 4 lane highway than you could a two lane one. It's not really about capacity as much as it is speed.

Even if you don't use more than 8 gigs at any given time the greater capacity along with the speed would be a nice performance boost to your system.

Also are there actually any 4x4Gb 1600 kits available with CL8?

Not in the platinum line. This would be the closest match

http://www.corsair.com/us/memory-by-product-family/dominator-platinum-ddr3-memory/dominator-platinum-with-corsair-link-connector-1-5v-16-gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmd16gx3m4a1866c9.html

Then what are the chances of running 2 seperate 2x4Gb kits without any problems? To be honest I'm a bit wary of anything above 1600MHz, maybe unnecessarily but still... Let's just put it this way; What would you recommend for me?

Then what are the chances of running 2 separate 2x4Gb kits without any problems?

No one really knows. Corsair does not suggest using/mixing/combining two kits because it can be hit or miss at best because all the sticks have not been tested with each other. Best bet is to just get a matched 4 stick kit. It could potentially cost you more in the long run in lost time and money for RMA's if you have two kits that don't like each other.

To be honest I'm a bit wary of anything above 1600MHz, maybe unnecessarily but still... Let's just put it this way; What would you recommend for me?

You CPU can run 1866mhz memory with it's eyes closed. Really the only thing that is getting changed from stock values is the timings and speed from 1600mhz(which your CPU supports natively , so it would be considered a very small overclock) to 1866mhz. There is no voltage increase at all and there for no danger to your CPU.

Besides , you don't HAVE to run them at 1866mhz. You could run those at 1600mhz just as easiy.

If it were my system i would be using 2133mhz memory. It's the same deal. Just timings and speed,no voltage adjustments and no danger of hurting your CPU. 2133mhz is just as easy to run as 1866mhz memory and is set with one click of the mouse.

All right. Thanks to you, you helped me out a great deal and obviously know your way around RAM. I'll face my fears and grab 4x4Gb 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum and see if I can't get the damn thing running.

And some of those nice blue LEDs to go with them. :)

Archived