Corsair Community

H100i fan direction

Darkwing

Hello,

I bought the H100i today and wanted to install it. The manual suggest to put it as an exhaust.

At the back of the manual under the FAQ it says:

1. How do I know the direction of the air flow of the fan?

In arrow located on the side of the fan indicates the direction of air flow.

But....I have rotated the fans now roughly 20 times, but nowhere does it show arrows indicating the airflow. :confused: Does it really matter whether it sucks or blows? I mounted the fans now, but have no idea whether it is exhaust or intake. (can't test as waiting for motherboard).

Thanks

Hello,

I bought the H100i today and wanted to install it. The manual suggest to put it as an exhaust.

At the back of the manual under the FAQ it says:

1. How do I know the direction of the air flow of the fan?

In arrow located on the side of the fan indicates the direction of air flow.

But....I have rotated the fans now roughly 20 times, but nowhere does it show arrows indicating the airflow. :confused: Does it really matter whether it sucks or blows? I mounted the fans now, but have no idea whether it is exhaust or intake. (can't test as waiting for motherboard).

Thanks

they will cool either way,with one way a few degrees better.

i usually just hook a fan up before installation to see which way the air flows.

on your case if the rad is on top and you want the air to exhaust there and pull in air from the front side and bottom of case to create good airflow. ive got mk1 chaser case with rad on top fans on stock fans on bottom i turned around from stock and faced then pushing air through them with 200mm dual fans on top of the case pulling the air through them exhaust the case of hot air running my fx8350 idle at 6c max temp when oc is 36c with this setup.

• 3 years later...
on your case if the rad is on top and you want the air to exhaust there and pull in air from the front side and bottom of case to create good airflow. ive got mk1 chaser case with rad on top fans on stock fans on bottom i turned around from stock and faced then pushing air through them with 200mm dual fans on top of the case pulling the air through them exhaust the case of hot air running my fx8350 idle at 6c max temp when oc is 36c with this setup.

Seems Odd...The Corsair H110i instructions say to set the two radiator fans on intake (sucking outside air thru the radiator) and frankly, I think I agree and would rather have cool outside air coming in thru the radiator vents.

Or perhaps I just don't understand...This is my first liquid cooled CPU. So if I am confused, I apologize.

Seems Odd...The Corsair H110i instructions say to set the two radiator fans on intake (sucking outside air thru the radiator) and frankly, I think I agree and would rather have cool outside air coming in thru the radiator vents.

Or perhaps I just don't understand...This is my first liquid cooled CPU. So if I am confused, I apologize.

This has been commented on many times with one being as below.

Once again, that little phrase sends someone in the wrong direction. Back when there was a more consistent presence in this Cooling forum, Corsair was quick to say no -- don't treat that as an inviolate rule. Take it on a case by case basis. It's really just a disclaimer for the single radiator crowd who are likely to put the cooler in the rear exhaust, where it will also be affected by GPU waste heat.

As suggested above, I would certainly set the H115i fans to exhaust heat out the top. Haswell-E chips will put a little heat into the system all the time, particularly when overclocked. It's best to dump that right out the top and it is also the natural flow design for the case. The 780T is no micro-ATX. You are not going to be affected by GPU waste heat unless you have a pair of 980 Ti's at the bottom. Stick to your original plan.

Yes, and the suggestion in the manual to use the fans as intake is contradicted by the picture right above it that shows the fans in an exhaust position and arrows pointing up and out. More reason to make the decision based on your case, hardware, and environment.

For your system, there is no reason not to set the fans on the H115i to exhaust out. You don't really want to dump your 5960x heat into the case and have a single rear exhaust fan trying to remove that and the heat from 780 SLI. It's too much and all your case temps will rise substantially. The idea is "cooler" external air will keep the water temperature at the same level as the the room ambient temp versus the slightly warmer case ambient temperature. Unfortunately, that effect is small and will only last a few minutes with a top mount radiator as intake. The internal case temperature goes up as you dump CPU waste heat in and the H115i water temperature (and everything else) will be warmer than if you exhausted it directly.

Archived