Corsair Community

PSU Fan constantly running at 2,000 RPM

dynamo

I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times (but I didn't immediately see it), but why is my PSU fan constatly running at 2,000 RPM? I've read that it should ran rather low until it gets a significant loud on it.

I've already disabled C1E, cool n' quiet and any other thing that looked like it wanted to 'save power'. Anything I'm missing?

~Justin

I don't believe the CX series has a fan-less mode like the TX, orAX series. If you look at the product description it just states that it is quieter at low loads.

The large-diameter, thermally controlled fan makes the CX Series Modular quieter at idle, and the large diameter reduces noise even when you’re pushing your system hard. And, the matte black finish, black-sleeved cables and black connectors help give your system a restrained, high-tech look.

http://www.corsair.com/us/power-supply-units/cx-series-psu/cx-series-cx750m-modular-atx-power-supply-750-watt-80-plus-bronze-certified-modular-psu.html

Also the fan curve pic doesn't show the fan running at anything less than about 18db..

Where are you seeing fan speed at for your PSU? Unless you have one of the i series PSU's you shouldn't have any way of seeing fan speed for the PSU.

But let RamGuy see this and make the final call.

Nope, it doesn't have a fanless mode, but it's most definitely louder than 18db, as I can very easily hear it. When people speak of "Whisper quiet", they generally mean 20-30db and lower.

The fan, to my surprise shows up in my bios as 'power fan' or something similar, and in speed fan as 'fan #3'. Also, as one would expect, I have no way to adjust that fan, even if I wanted to.

As is generally the case, I could be half informed, or misinformed, but this seems as if the power supply temperature control just isn't working quite right. If this is the case, it would be very aggravating because the PSU is days old, and just got returned from a DOA RMA. I've always heard such good things about corsair, I just want to have the product I know Corsair delivers.

**EDIT**

It's the CX750, not CX750M, no modular supply for me. Whoops.

~Justin

The fan, to my surprise shows up in my bios as 'power fan' or something similar, and in speed fan as 'fan #3'.

It would be what ever fan you have connected to the PWR_FAN header on the MB. So if your CPU heatsink or case fans are connected to those, that is what you are seeing.

I don't think I have any fans plugged into my motherboard directly (they plug into my cases fan controller), but perhaps I decided to plug the CPU fan in somewhere silly when I was putting my computer back together for the 4th time... this upgrade has not gone as well as one would hope. :)

Let me look into this yet again with the new information I've found while searching around today.

I've been wrong before, and would be happy to be wrong again.

Thanks for the information you've provided, and I'll come back to mention how right or wrong I may be/have been.

~Justin

Well, isn't that embarrassing!

The situation has been resolved, but then you made me notice how loud my rig was even when working 'right'. Spent a couple hours last night changing settings, adjusting OC's, adjusting fans, and cleaning out dust. Thanks for making me waste hours of my life! ;)

~Justin

Archived