Corsair Community

CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10R

dpastern

I just want to chime in that I also have bought the same kit as the OP and have the same problems. Not even able to install an O/S, system hangs part of the way through the install. I'm in the process of testing the RAM thoroughly - normal testing using Memtest86+ shows around 800 errors per pass. I'm going to set the bios to xmp profile and set the custom ram settings as per RAM_GUY and see what it tests like, but to be honest, the RAM is going back to the place of purchase.

Given the number of issues being reported on this RAM module (complaints on Amazon UK, Newegg, etc), I believe that there's massive issues with this RAM module. Remember that most users are probably not going to run tests like memtest.

I'm quite disappointed to be honest - this is the 2nd set of Corsair RAM that I've purchased in the past 12 months that has exhibited these issues (I never bothered returning the last batch of RAM, which was for a media centre project which is now defunct).

Dave

Just to add to my prior post - I can't seemingly change the DRAM timing in my motherboard bios - I should be able to, but it won't let me. Have updated the bios, but still can't make changes, so can't test RAM further with modified dram timing. Running xpm profile testing with memtest86+ tonight.

Dave

Just to add to my prior post - I can't seemingly change the DRAM timing in my motherboard bios

Make sure you have the M.I.T selected in your BIOS or you will not be able to adjust those parameters. Pg35-36 in your owners manual.

they will be in the advanced memory settings.

You might also try setting the DIMM voltage to 1.55v with a max of 1.6v if you have to and see if that does not help gain stability.

I suspect in your case with 32 gigs an addition of voltage may be necessary. You may also need to add memory controller voltage as well (system agent) You can take that as high as 1.2v but only add what you need to to gain stability. But try just the DIMM voltage first.

Let us know if that makes any difference.

Thanks - currently at work, will re-check things when I get home. It seems that Gigabyte's uefi bios is very un-intuitive and not well designed imho. When every other option is changed by clicking the button with your mouse, or hitting enter on the keyboard, it seems that you have to use the page up/down buttons to adjust the memory timing settings. Inconsistency in UI design really makes me cranky.

XMP profile testing of memory has the same amount of errors. I would expect that the auto detected settings for ram timing would work with the ram - one *shouldn't* have to muck with settings (only if you want to tweak or overclock the ram). I've never had so much problems with ram in 15 years of building my own computers.

Dave

Make sure you have the M.I.T selected in your BIOS or you will not be able to adjust those parameters. Pg35-36 in your owners manual.

they will be in the advanced memory settings.

You might also try setting the DIMM voltage to 1.55v with a max of 1.6v if you have to and see if that does not help gain stability.

I suspect in your case with 32 gigs an addition of voltage may be necessary. You may also need to add memory controller voltage as well (system agent) You can take that as high as 1.2v but only add what you need to to gain stability. But try just the DIMM voltage first.

Let us know if that makes any difference.

I would expect that the auto detected settings for ram timing would work with the ram - one *shouldn't* have to muck with settings (only if you want to tweak or overclock the ram). I've never had so much problems with ram in 15 years of building my own computers.

Generally you shouldn't, but with high capacity kits and MB's that tend to under volt DIMM slots it's entirely possible

Let us know how you make out with the voltage adjustments..

Thanks peanutz. I don't generally touch ram settings, so this is all new to me. As per the instructions on page 1 of this thread, I've set:

cas latency = 10

trcd = 11

trp = 10

tras = 30

tCMD = 2

dram voltage for A/B and C/D channels to 1.65v

I've also set the memory multiplier to 13.33 (i.e. 1333mhz).

I could not find the north bridge voltage controller in the bios, despite spending nearly an hour looking and Googling and referencing the user manual (which is useless).

The results aren't good - prior tests were showing errors in test 8 (32 bit inversion random from memory). Upon testing with these changes above, it was immediately throwing lots of errors. I'll let the test run over night (seems to take around 8 hours to test the 32GB ram).

I could lower the voltage to 1.55 or 1.6v (it's 1.5v by default in the bios it seems). I was not able to find the "memory controller voltage (memory agent)". I really wish ALL manufacturers would use standard terminology. It's REALLY annoying.

Googling any of this is next to useless - you get the general overclocking "I did this" threads, but without any real instructions for the newbie. I've been building PCs for 15 years, never had to tinker with dram settings so it's really alien to me (and scary).

I EMailed Gigabyte about the inability to change dram settings last night (which I've since figured out - use the page up/down keys - very intuitive Gigabyte), so I could take the opportunity to ask some follow up questions on that ticket about the north bridge voltage and memory agent. I'm getting kinda disinclined to do so, since I have a limited time to return the RAM as faulty to my supplier as you can appreciate.

I'm also not particularly happy with Gigabyte - qualified 8GB ram sticks as per Gigabyte aren't many, and after spending 2 hours googling and searching last night, it seems half of the 8 odd sticks are discontinued, and the other half not available in Australia. Gigabyte should be bloody well updating their lists to reflect this and I will raise this with them too. I know this isn't your (Corsair's) problem, I'm just venting off steam. Apologises in advance ;-)

Thanks for the help, greatly appreciated.

Dave

It might be that your DIMM voltage is to high or possibly that you have damaged the memory controller in the CPU . Intel does not recommend anything higher than 1.6v for that CPU. I am not saying that this IS the case, but MAYBE a remote possibility .

You also won't find NorthBridge voltage on that board it's been replaced by the system agent voltage. . I'll download your manual to take a look and see if i can see anything definitive for you. I actually had to re-read my previous post to see if I mentioned the NB voltage at all.

Just so we are on the same page can you point me to where you would have saw anything about NB voltage for that board, because it would no longer be a BIOS option since memory controllers are in the CPU and not the MB in the new systems.

NVM I overlooked that...

I don't generally touch ram settings, so this is all new to me. As per the instructions on page 1 of this thread, I've set:

cas latency = 10

trcd = 11

trp = 10

tras = 30

tCMD = 2

dram voltage for A/B and C/D channels to 1.65v

DO NOT use these settings!

As far as compatibility lists or QVL's go, they are almost NEVER updated for any manufacturer. Besides, that not a list of required or necessary modules, just a list of them that they have tested with. With so many combinations of memory , it would be impossible for them to test them all or to keep testing them to update the lists. So take them with a grain of salt to a point.

I really wish ALL manufacturers would use standard terminology. It's REALLY annoying.

AMEN! But here is good resource RamGuy uses a lot and a good list of BIOS definitions used today

http://www.techarp.com/

PS, I'm going to request that this thread be split to your own thread. Although the memory is the same ,your other hardware is different. And settings used for the Sabertooth AMD based board will be completely different for your Intel based board and would not apply. So I'm wondering if we shouldn't start fresh and go from there if you are trying settings used in this thread.

EDIT: After looking through your manual the memory controller voltage would be called "Profile VTT voltage" With that figured out, I would reset your BIOS ,or "load optimized BIOS set-up defaults" Use just one stick for the time being while doing this . Then enable the XMP profile. Making sure the DIMM voltage is at 1.5v for now and also leave the "Profile VTT voltage" at stock values or what ever XMP is setting it to. And let me know what XMP is is setting that value please.

See if you can get windows to load this time...we'll go from there. I think it would be best to get windows loaded first to help determine if the issue is memory or MB related.

At this point I think your memtest errors are a result of improper BIOS setting. But lets see what happens first.

Well, there was about 18k errors with those modified settings. I've set the bios back to defaults. I've already tested the ram on defaults and the xmp profile and it was erroring badly. Advice that I'm seeing elsewhere is that the ram is faulty, it should never throw any errors and that I should return it, which concurs with my thoughts. Too late to rip the ram out this morning, I'll do it tonight when I get home from work and return it tomorrow for a RMA with my supplier.

Thanks again for the help.

Dave

edit: all 4 sticks are throwing errors.

edit: all 4 sticks are throwing errors.

If all four sticks are throwing errors thenit's definatly NOT the memory. Starting to look like that MB is bad. I would contact Gigabyte and have that RMA'd before the memory.

I really believe that if you RMA'd the memory it would just act the same costing you more lost time in the long run.

OK, an update. I returned the other ram and got some slightly slower speed Corsair vengeance ram (CMZ32GX3M4A1600C9). I simply installed the RAM into the motherboard and didn't make any BIOS changes. Have ran memtest86+ on it and no errors.

Corsair - you have some major problems with the original RAM that I have. Given the number of posts and negative reviews that I've seen about my original RAM, it would probably be prudent to do a wee bit more investigation on your part on determine if it's a bad batch or a bad design and how many sticks it is affecting. Not everyone is going to:

a) be testing the ram to see if it has issues

b) post on a forum about it

most people with faulty RAM who have tested it would simply return it and not try and troubleshoot the RAM further with the manufacturer. I was a bit more forgiving of Corsair and patient ;-)

Bonus with the new RAM is that it's cheaper, and I got some cash back in the hand, and got a 5.25" internal card reader as well.

Dave

If all four sticks are throwing errors thenit's definatly NOT the memory. Starting to look like that MB is bad. I would contact Gigabyte and have that RMA'd before the memory.

I really believe that if you RMA'd the memory it would just act the same costing you more lost time in the long run.

If it was motherboard, then the new RAM sticks (see my post above) would also be erroring. Corsair has major issues with the previous RAM that I bought.

Dave

Archived