Corsair Community

Errors with CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9 & P8Z77-V LK

sam1080

Hello,

I'm having some trouble, I think, with my RAM. I have the DIMMS installed in slots A2 and B2. My computer is recognizing them as having a max bandwidth of 667 MHz. I manually changed the DIMMs to 800 MHZ and all the recommended settings (voltage & timings) auto-populated.

I've only been running the computer for a few days, but so far I've had three issues, all of which seem like they are linked to the RAM: a BSOD, a failed prime95 run (unexpected value, or something like that), and, this morning, failed (1 error) Memtest 4.2 on test #7.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Sam

Sam, please make sure you BIOS is up to date and if you have not updated it before, please do so. Also make sure you use the XMP profile instead of setting them manually . XMP also adjusts other necessary voltages.

If you still get the same issues with XMP i would suggest you test each module individually in the first slot with memtest86+ and let each stick run for a minimum of three passes or until you get an error.

Also make sure you load set-up defaults and enable XMP before booting to memtest.

One error could be caused by just about anything. Usually if memory fails it fails miserably with hundreds or thousands of errors. Just one would suggest just a BIOS adjustment somewhere. If both sticks pass individually , but not together then you could also try setting the DIMM voltage to 1.55 or even up to 1.6 if you have to.

Let us now how you make out! :)

Thanks, peanutz94.

I've already updated the BIOS.

When you say use the XMP profile, does that mean setting the memory back to automatic settings? If so, will that mean that my memory will be running at 667 MHz? Under default (automatic) settings, 667 MHz was the speed picked up by both Memtest & CPU-Z.

Thanks again,

Sam

When you say use the XMP profile, does that mean setting the memory back to automatic settings? If so, will that mean that my memory will be running at 667 MHz? Under default (automatic) settings, 667 MHz was the speed picked up by both Memtest & CPU-Z.

XMP stands for Xtreme Memory Profile, or basically a one click method of setting the memory to it's overclocked ratings. If you have never used it please check you manual on how to enable it.

It will be in the advanced or AItuner/overclock menu in the BIOS. It not only sets timings and speed , but also adjusts other necessary system voltages needed for the overclock.

As far as what memtest and CPUz is seeing , could you post a pic of CPUz please. I have a feeling your seeing SPD data which is static and does not change no matter what the actual memory is set to. or that since you were not aware of XMP your memory was just running at 1333 (667x2-1333mhz)mhz which all memory will default to when first inserted into the MB until changed, either manually or with using XMP.

Hello, I have a CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 (2 8gb modules) and the same MB as the guy above, and I've been experiencing BSOD for a few weeks, then they stopped and today the computer froze completely twice, can you guys help me out? is this memory related? thanks!

Arigatex,

Just from what you posted there is no way to tell. That symptom could be caused by any number of hardware and software issues.

Have you checked your event logs to see what the BSOD stop error codes are.

Have you tested the memory with memtest to be sure you do not have a failing module?

There is a ljink on the left side to down load it. Test each stick individually in the first slot and let each stick run for about three passes or until you get an error. Make sure you load set-up defaults and enable XMP before booting to memtest.

Did you by any chance install any new drivers or other software?

Have you checked your BIOS to see what your BIOS is reporting Power Supply voltages as?

Oh, I'm sorry I think I erased a whole paragraph on my previous post. This pc is almost all new (the only things remaining from the old one are the graphics card, hard drive and power supply). I asked in some other tech support page about the BSOD and the guy told me I had lan/network driver issues, so I downloaded the mb drivers for the lan and haven't had BSOD ever since, but now I have these random freezes.

I will get the memtest running and post the results thanks!

EDIT: today I loaded up the set-up defaults and no freezes yet, perhaps I just moved some random voltage value on accident?

Archived