Corsair Community

4 x 4GB Corsair GT 2000 Configuration

Symbian

I have the Asus Maximus V Extreme motherboard, and 4 x 4GB Corsair GT 2000 memory modules.

I have had it set on 1033 for the longest time now, but recently changed it to 1600. After the pc loaded, and I loaded up a live stream, everything kept reseting/blacking out for a second. So I had to lower it to 1333.

Is 1333 the highest you can run with my configuration?

EDIT: Also is it worth using the fan for the memory modules?

I have had it set on 1033 for the longest time now, but recently changed it to 1600. After the pc loaded, and I loaded up a live stream, everything kept reseting/blacking out for a second. So I had to lower it to 1333.

When you set the memory to 1600, what are your exact settings you are using for the memory?

Is 1333 the highest you can run with my configuration?

No, you should be able to run at 1600,1866 and maybe even 2133mhz depending the CPU.

EDIT: Also is it worth using the fan for the memory modules?

Thats up to you. The memory is not going to overheat if you do not unless you are overclocking them pretty high. But at stock speeds or even 1600,1866mhz they would not be required.

BTW, the kit you have now will require 1.65v for anything over 1333mhz. So i suspect you need more voltage to achieve stability.

When you set the memory to 1600, what are your exact settings you are using for the memory?

No, you should be able to run at 1600,1866 and maybe even 2133mhz depending the CPU.

Thats up to you. The memory is not going to overheat if you do not unless you are overclocking them pretty high. But at stock speeds or even 1600,1866mhz they would not be required.

BTW, the kit you have now will require 1.65v for anything over 1333mhz. So i suspect you need more voltage to achieve stability.

The settings were just stock I presume. From what I read the mobo I have autoclocks everything for you.

I just set the frequency to 1600. Guessing I needed to alter the Dram Timing as well?

And thats what I thought. Just have read from a couple sources that 4 ram module setups should run at 1333. Guessing that might just be a voltage issue.

And I understand the kit that I have requires 1.65. And I have read up that many suggest not using it as 1.65 is the max??? And if thats the case wouldnt 1333 be the highest you can run it at safely?

The settings were just stock I presume. From what I read the mobo I have autoclocks everything for you

Well sort of..you still need to enable that overclock.

I just set the frequency to 1600. Guessing I needed to alter the Dram Timing as well?

And thats what I thought. Just have read from a couple sources that 4 ram module setups should run at 1333. Guessing that might just be a voltage issue.

Yes, you would need to change both timings and voltages . All you should have to do is enable XMP in your BIOS. XMP is the memory "auto-overclock" feature for the memory. It will set the timings and voltages for you. I would suggest looking in your manual for that setting and how to use it. It should be in the AITweaker/Overclocker or Advanced section of the BIOS.

About the 4 DIMM set-up's thats not true with today's MB's. I have 6 DIMM's running at close to 1700mhz. Earlier MB's were like that because of strain on the memory controller. But today's MB's can handle much more memory at higher speeds.

With you MB?CPU you should be able to run four sticks at 1866mhz pretty easy as long as the timings and voltages are set right.

What I find odd is that I looked your MB up and found the same information you did about 1600mhz being max and found that information in more than one spot. But Gigabytes own site seems to contradict that. But I can tell you for sure that with that MB/CPU you should be able to use 1866mhz memory easily.

Alright cool. Gotcha.

Did some research on the XMP and it states that the memory I have is certified to run at 1866 on a 3770k and did not find any data on my 2700k.

I am running the newest bios for my V Extreme, and there is only 1 XMP Profile available, which is 1866.

Is it safe to run XMP Profiles? Is the profile set at the one frequency, or does it alter the settings if you lower it to say 1600? Would you recommend using the profile at such a high speed on my machine?

Sorry for all the questions, sorta new to all this still. Trying to learn.

I am running a 2700k currently at stock settings.

Maximus V Extreme motherboard

4 x 4gb Dominator GT memory modules

on a 850w HX Corsair Modular PSU.

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: After thinking it over and doing more research. I checked my CPU-Z stats.

533 Mhz CAS 7 RAS to CAS 7 at 1.5v

609 Mhz CAS 8 RAS to CAS 8 at 1.5v

685 MHz CAS 9 RAS to CAS 9 at 1.5v

Then it shows for XMP-2000

1000 Mhz CAS 9 RAS to CAS 10 at 1.65v.

So im guessing running at the XMP setting I have, running at 1866 would be acceptable?

Did some research on the XMP and it states that the memory I have is certified to run at 1866 on a 3770k and did not find any data on my 2700k.

Um, not quite sure what you mean there. The XMP for profile for that kitwill work on any Intel based processor.They are not certified for just one processor or group of processors.

Is it safe to run XMP Profiles? Is the profile set at the one frequency, or does it alter the settings if you lower it to say 1600? Would you recommend using the profile at such a high speed on my machine?

Yes, XMP is safe to use, but if you want to run them at 1600mhz you can run CPUz and look at the SPD tab. That will list the timings and voltage required for different speeds.

And Yes, it also adjust other settings besides DIMM voltage and timings.

Alright, So I read up in the manual on my mobo, and the CPU Level up suited my needs. Just O.Ced the CPU to 4.2 and it adjusted everything as needed, as well as the memory to 1600. Which is where I was wanting it. So that works great now.

As to the fan, I just plug in the power connector to the last memory module correct? So in my case 2b since im running 4 modules.

And I am currently running them at 1600, but not sure what voltage its running at, probably 1.65 as you stated. Is it safe to use the fan still(does the fan increase the overall memory voltage)?

As to the fan, I just plug in the power connector to the last memory module correct? So in my case 2b since im running 4 modules.

What fan do you have. The fan itself gets plugged into the fan header on your MB. The only connection to the memory would be if you have the AirFlowPro with the LED read outs and that would be a small data connection.

nd I am currently running them at 1600, but not sure what voltage its running at, probably 1.65 as you stated. Is it safe to use the fan still(does the fan increase the overall memory voltage)?

You can read your memory voltage in the BIOS. and no, the fan has nothing to do with adding voltage. It just increases cooling of the memory.

I have the Corsair Airflow Fan Module that came with the Dominator GT Kits.

So, ya plugging them into a regular fan header wont work. It has to be plugged into the actual memory modules. And ya since they are so tight together id assume it would plug into the last module.

What fan do you have? The fan itself gets plugged into the fan header on your MB. (larger black cable w/white connector)The only connection to the memory would be if you have the AirFlowPro with the LED read outs and that would be a small data connection.(small white cable)

I asked because you didn't mention what fan you had. There are a couple of different models. So yes, if you have the AirFlowPro with the LED readout it would get connected to the memory.

But the fan itself would need to be plugged into a 12v fan header or to the PSU via a molex adapter. And yes,the small white data cable would plug into the last module.

http://i47.tinypic.com/vih89e.jpg

Can you post a PIC of that please? I guess I'm not understanding how this could be possible. If it is just the fan with no LED readout you should have a normal 3 pin fan connector...

The memory doesn't supply voltage at all just a data port for the LINK software...so it would be impossible to power a fan.

Memory voltage is only 1.5v-1.65v supplied by the slots and the fans require 12v. I have owned several of the Airflow fans and never saw one that plugs in to the memory module itself other than the AirFlowPro with the LED readouts.

Archived