Corsair Community

BSOD with CMP16GX3M4X1866C9

cherryw

Hi All

Need help here. I have built a new system

Once I built it I had major RAM problems, I could use slot 1 and 3 but when i used 2 and/or 4 it locked up.

I took all the RAM out bar number 1 slot and never had a problem. Added one in number 2 slot and it eventually locked up. Removed 2 slot and added one to number 3 slot – no problem.

I have now had the RAM replaced as it did it on the test bench at the place I bought it from but the funny thing is they had 6 MBs and only one did it. I have now installed and it still BSOD but you cannot put it down to anything that you do, it is just random. I had to remove the heat sinks as the RAM does not fit under the CPU cooler and I thought it might be over heating so turned up 4 of the 11 fans in the unit, boy is it cold sitting next to it.

When it BSOD's it does not have an error code. I have also changed the motherboard to another one of the same model and it still does it. I have rebuilt the unit over 10 times and still happening. On the first MD I upgraded the BIOS but that did not seem to fix it.

Last night I left it turned on and nothing running and it BSOD at 4:30am.

Can anyone offer what to do next. I have contacted the place where I bought it from and they advised me to contact Corsair.

Help.

Wayne:sigh!:

I would test each module in the same slot with Memtest (link on the left) to be sure one of them is not failing.

Let each module run for about 3 passes or untill you get an error.

You will need the latest BIOS too. If your replacement board has not been flashed to the latest version, please do so

Have tried the XMP profile? And have you tried adding memory controller voltage?

I'm kind of wondering if it isn't your CPU. Or a bad memory controller to be exact...

Hi peanutz94

I have flashed to the latest bios and am now running the RAM in slots 1 and 3 and it seems to be more stable. I will give memtest a go but this is the second set of RAM I have had and the second motherboard. CPU maybe but a bad memory controller on two boards? I have run memtest and so have the place where I bought it from and still having BSOD problems. What is XMP profile and how do you add memory controller voltage?:sigh!:

Regards

Wayne

Strange but I keep loosing the specs of my PC, I have put them up twice and now they have disappeared again.

Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case

Intel Core i7 3930K

Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 Motherboard

Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 LGA2011 CPU Cooler

Corsair Dominator CMP16GX3M4X1866C9 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3

Intel 520 Series 180GB SSD

Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti Overclocked 1GB

CPU maybe but a bad memory controller on two boards?

The memory controller is no longer on the MB. That changed with the X58 chipset to current CPU's. The memory controller resides in the CPU now. This is why i suggested that the CPU may be bad because the problem is following the CPU at this point.

What is XMP profile and how do you add memory controller voltage?

XMP is Xtreme Memory Profile and is what sets the RAM to run at 1866mhz. if you have just installed the modules and did not change any BIOS settings, then they are or should be running at 1333mhz or even 1066mhz.

XMP should be covered in your owners manual and where to find the setting. It's usually in the advanced overclocking settings in your BIOS. Enabling the XMP profile should adjust all necessary voltages including (system agent) which is your memory controller voltage.

So if you set these up manually that may have been missed.

I have run memtest and so have the place where I bought it from and still having BSOD problems.

If memtest keeps coming up clean, then that would be another vote towards the CPU being the culprit. At least that is what it is pointing to at this point.

Hi peanutz94

I have done what you asked and ran memtest on the modules one at a time. First one ran for 30 min and no errors, second one ran for over 7 hours (went to bed) and again no errors. Third one errored as soon as I ran the test. I have since run it again and all errors :mad:. The fourth one ran for over an hour and no errors.

Looks like faulty module. I have even videoed it with my phone to prove it. I will now return it to the place I bought it from. Seems strange that I have received 2 faulty batches.

Are you able to email me stating that there is now a faulty module so I can take it with me to the shop.

Regards

Wayne

Thats pretty cut and dry. You will need to have the entire kit replaced. Not just the one module. You don't want to add a non matched stick to a otherwise matched kit. Compatibility issues can show up between the modules them selves.

If your shop wont replace the entire kit i suggest you RMA them through Corsair directly.

You can use the link on the left to request your RMA. And if downtime is a concern, once you receive your confirmation or RMA number, you can call customer service and ask about advanced RMA's.

Seems strange that I have received 2 faulty batches.

If you receive a third set that acts the same way , i would look at other possible hardware failures. Again it may be the CPU.

Are you able to email me stating that there is now a faulty module so I can take it with me to the shop.

Sorry, i can not. I am not a Corsair employee, just a helper here. But if your shop has any problems replacing the entire kit , you can reference this thread. I am sure RamGuy will back this up!

Just let us know how you make out.

Archived