Corsair Community

Just a warning for 550D buyers

Crisao23

Less than a month ago I asked Corsair Support (#4759728) about compatibility between P9X79 WS and Corsair's 550D case.

The answer was:

Technical Support That would work. That MB is SSI CEB ff which is an inch different from the Standard ATX 6/21/2012 1:13:04 PM

Yesterday I received the case and unfortunately, that motherboard and the case are a match made in hell. It fits the case when you check the ATX standoff placement, but half of the sata ports are blocked by the case.

Technically it blocks all sata ports since the conectors are not allowed to plug in correctly, without proper clearance.

For someone building a workstation, that was something really bad.

I'm stuck now with a nice configuration and a disfunctional case. Not a good idea.

So if you're planning to get a 550D, check it out in a physical store before ordering.

The following may not be the best fix or compromise for your build, but might help you.

You can remove one of the drive cages to allow the SATA cables to fit. I'm guessing that removing the upper cage will possibly help in your situation.

To fit more drives in the limited space, you could do this: If you use SSDs, there are many mounts available that will mount two SSDs in the space of one drive slot. I use those in all my PCs to save space, without any temperature issues with the SSDs.

There are adapters that allow mounting 3.5" and 2.5" drives in the 5.25" optical drive bays. From simple metal brackets for 3.5" HDDs, to multiple 2.5" bays for SSDs and small HDDs, and hot swap bays for HDDs, there are a good number of options.

Of course this adds expense to your build, and may not look nice if you're going for a beautiful build type PC, but just some ideas. As you have learned, a mother board that can (just barely) fit in a case may not have enough clearance for actual usage.

The problem isn't the case or the clearance. The problem was the info provided by Corsair support which made me buy it.

The tech who answered my email probably never tested such motherboard type in that case.

The motherboard fits the case since it uses the same atx mount points. You can install every single hdd without any problems, you just cannot plug the sata cables to all 8 headers on the motherboard due to that "low floor" motherboard area.

I have some Corsair products here like the HX850W PSU, some memory, pendrives, H50 closed loop coolers and I was seriously confident in the quality of the cases.

I could not find that quality in the 550D, unfortunately. The problem with the motherboard size is just one thing. If the case was that good, with a nice build quality, I would not be posting here, since I'm trying to fit a SSI CEB motherboard on a ATX case.

Some "problems" on the 550D:

- Front door hinges/locks are ridiculously weak. A plastic pin.

- Front placeholders for 5 25 bays: cheap plastic that would fit a cheap chinese case from 5 years ago, not a Corsair product from 2012

- The case itself doesn't feel that strong in the metal parts, like the side panels

- Plastic side panels that pop-off with a light touch and really feel light and weak

- PSU mount holes doesn't fit a Seasonic SS-760KM, only 3 mount holes fit the PSU at any orientation

- cheap plastic piece covering the case, feels really light and weak, like that type of plastic that cracks after some time under direct light

Some really good stuff that you can find on a 550D:

- The magnetic fan filters: nice touch and a good idea

- Sound dampening material

- Nice screws for almost any type of fan/usage that come with the case

It's not a crap case, but I usually buy good stuff, like coolermaster stackers, haf series, and this one was a regret.

I'm replacing it with a Cosmos II, which sounds like killing an ant with a atomic blast, but at least I think it'll be better.

The problem isn't the case or the clearance. The problem was the info provided by Corsair support which made me buy it.

The tech who answered my email probably never tested such motherboard type in that case.

The motherboard fits the case since it uses the same atx mount points. You can install every single hdd without any problems, you just cannot plug the sata cables to all 8 headers on the motherboard due to that "low floor" motherboard area.

I have some Corsair products here like the HX850W PSU, some memory, pendrives, H50 closed loop coolers and I was seriously confident in the quality of the cases.

I could not find that quality in the 550D, unfortunately. The problem with the motherboard size is just one thing. If the case was that good, with a nice build quality, I would not be posting here, since I'm trying to fit a SSI CEB motherboard on a ATX case.

Some "problems" on the 550D:

- Front door hinges/locks are ridiculously weak. A plastic pin.

- Front placeholders for 5 25 bays: cheap plastic that would fit a cheap chinese case from 5 years ago, not a Corsair product from 2012

- The case itself doesn't feel that strong in the metal parts, like the side panels

- Plastic side panels that pop-off with a light touch and really feel light and weak

- PSU mount holes doesn't fit a Seasonic SS-760KM, only 3 mount holes fit the PSU at any orientation

- cheap plastic piece covering the case, feels really light and weak, like that type of plastic that cracks after some time under direct light

Some really good stuff that you can find on a 550D:

- The magnetic fan filters: nice touch and a good idea

- Sound dampening material

- Nice screws for almost any type of fan/usage that come with the case

It's not a crap case, but I usually buy good stuff, like coolermaster stackers, haf series, and this one was a regret.

I'm replacing it with a Cosmos II, which sounds like killing an ant with a atomic blast, but at least I think it'll be better.

I see your point, your mobo is 1 inch wider then most and puts the lower sata plugs right up agaist the mobo tray :( you could MOD that spot in the case ( i know you should not have, but when push comes to shove DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO!!! a small dreamal will work. I drilled some holes in my 550D to clean up the wires a bit

http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p535/Niklas_13/?action=view&current=20120625_232800.jpg

GL M8

I see your point, your mobo is 1 inch wider then most and puts the lower sata plugs right up agaist the mobo tray :( you could MOD that spot in the case ( i know you should not have, but when push comes to shove DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO!!! a small dreamal will work. I drilled some holes in my 550D to clean up the wires a bit

http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p535/Niklas_13/?action=view&current=20120625_232800.jpg

GL M8

Where are the holes? Do you mean for the fan cables connected to the mobo? What did you use for grommets, or whatever you put in the holes, they look great.

Where are the holes? Do you mean for the fan cables connected to the mobo? What did you use for grommets, or whatever you put in the holes, they look great.

Yes the holes for the fans, front panal USB 3.0 and rest switch

A better pic http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p535/Niklas_13/?action=view&current=20120625_232846.jpg

I used http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p535/Niklas_13/?action=view&current=20120709_092155.jpg That i got at a local micro center

It really cleans it up a bit

While I wait here to the cosmos II to be delivered I discovered that one of the usb3 ports at the front panel doesn't work (inner port)...

Definitely not a true Corsair experience with the 550D...

... and that's the one that usually is bad on a 550D. :sigh!:

Can I rent some space in your new case?

Archived