Corsair Community

K90 Not working during post

Sem

Dear Corsair Team, here's another K90's (FW1.18) quite "frustrated" owner.

Pls. forgive me guys if I go straight to the point...

Is there any news regarding a new FW to fix the "not responding Keys" issue during the bootup? Will you be releasing one soon?

I really count on you all to give us some kind of feedback as soon as possible.

Thank you very much.

ps.

for avoidance of doubt my motherboard is the Asus Sabertooth X79 with latest Bios 1203 x64 installed.

Edited by Ziegevolk

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'll add my Motherboard to the list:

ASUS M5A99X EVO

The motherboard maker shouldn't have to fix their bios to make this keyboard work. The keyboard is the issue. Microsoft doesn't fix windows because somebody writes a program that doesn't work. You make the program compatible with windows. Personally, I resent the fact that I have to turn on my Logitech wireless keyboard, to enter the bios, because my WIRED keyboard doesn't work til windows starts loading. And it's not a USB 3 issue because it doesn't recognize the keyboard any better in USB 2 ports. Maybe Corsair should hire some experienced programmers, because the latest firmware also turned off the key repeat function on my keyboard. I had to uninstall all the K90 and M90 drivers and let windows recognize them as default keyboard and mouse, to make them work. Now, my $200 worth of Corsair hardware works as good as the standard mouse and keyboard that comes with a new system. Thanks Corsair

• Corsair Employee

I understand your frustration and I am sorry but the truth is there is an issue with some MB in the way they enumerate a USB Key Board from BIOS or from the O.S. And this issue has to be solved at the MB BIOS level. If we change the Firmware to over come this with the few MB's that have this issue, you may loose the use of the advanced 16-Bit USB features built into our Key Board.

So I would check with the MB manufacturer in question for the latest Beta BIOS. But at this time it is my understanding they are still working to resolve this issue. But I would expect an update rather quickly. If we get any updates on this issue we will post it here.

• Corsair Employee
Doesn't the fact that it worked for 6 months before your firmware update broke it make that argument mute?

The firmware didn't break the keyboard but it did change how the BIOS would detect the device and they are working with us to resolve the issue.

I had the same problem I got a cheap ps2 keyboard and plug it in when I need to enter bios since using bios isn`t that frequnet it`s no big deal i`am shure corsair will work it out with mobo co.s

Unfortunately it is much more frequent when you're playing with overclocks. I've now tried the latest beta BIOS for my BB Xpower II (v1.44) with no change in functionality, except that my overclock was freakishly unstable in it. Unfortunately I've decided to give up on my K90 and have ordered a customized mechanical keyboard from another manufacturer.

I appreciate the work you guys are putting in to get this whole issue solved, and because of that I'll still continue to recommend your products, as well as use them.

Good luck to the rest of you guys who are patiently awaiting a solution.

Thanks for posting and verifying that I am not the only Maximus IV Extreme-Z owner with that same issue. This is really frustrating and unacceptable in terms of Quality Control and Assurance on firmware.

Same issue and the same instance where it worked pre-firmware update. According to RAM GUY we are now supposed to wait for ASUS to release a BIOS update for this Keyboard for the new firmware.

That brings up another question since it seems now that each time the Firmware is updated on either Mouse/Keyboard would it require for the Motherboard manufacture to release bios updates that are compatible with the newer firmware ?

I agree. My K90 worked fine until I applied the update. Now I have the same problem. No F8/Delete on Post. So much for a $100.00 plus keyboard. It is basically just a brick that can't be used the way it is meant to be (And at a high cost) If you can't get to the boot order or Delete what good is it? I got this as a gift in July and had to modify my desk just to use it. Now I'm about ready to return it and get something that works out of the box.

Edited by Cybex

Well folks - happy days. I have the ASUS Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard which was also experiencing the problem this thread addresses (I just bought the keyboard a few days ago and was unaware of the issue at the time of purchase). At any rate, today I downloaded the latest firmware release (SABERTOOTH Z77 BIOS 1504, dated 09 August) for the board and lo and behold, it appears the issue has been fixed. I can now get into the BIOS by hitting the "Delete" key during post. Edited by Danchyk

Well folks - happy days. I have the ASUS Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard which was also experiencing the problem this thread addresses (I just bought the keyboard a few days ago and was unaware of the issue at the time of purchase). At any rate, today I downloaded the latest firmware release (SABERTOOTH Z77 BIOS 1504, dated 09 August) for the board and lo and behold, it appears the issue has been fixed. I can now get into the BIOS by hitting the "Delete" key during post.

Thanks for letting us know that it's been fixed with the latest Z77 Sabertooth bios. However the release date and the actual bios creation date's are different.

If you could run CPU-Z and go into the Motherboard tab and report the actual 'date' that would give us some indication of what month bios we should be looking for to fix this issue. In the case of the Maximus IV Extreme-Z the 3501 Bios was released on the 27th of July but is dated with 06/11/2012.

If you could run CPU-Z and go into the Motherboard tab and report the actual 'date' that would give us some indication of what month bios we should be looking for to fix this issue.

Here you go --

http://i46.tinypic.com/ipwoqf.png

Hi.

I got this exact issue with my ASUS P8Z68-V PRO after updating the K90 firmware.

I checked ASUS's site for BIOS updates and found that I'm a version behind.

I will now apply the update and report back with results.

If you don't hear from me again it most likely means that my rig blew up while updating.

UPDATE

Updating to BIOS version 3402 did not change anything even though the release notes said "Enhance compatibility with some USB devices."

I noticed during post that it said there was 2 mouses which means that the K90 is recognized as a mouse?

Anyway, I'm going to downgrade to 1.07 because the update didn't improve Linux support.

Edited by Splitlocked

Just a quick note. In addition to updating the BIOS on my Sabertooth board, I also updated the ASUS AI Suite II software to the latest version. That software shouldn't have anything to do with the BIOS issue, or at least I didn't think it did, but then I read somewhere yesterday in one of the forums that the AI Suite II software DOES interact with the startup procedures in some way. So quite possibly, even though it doesn't make a lot of sense, it may have some bearing on why I'm suddenly able to access the BIOS.

One other thing. I've noticed some pretty incredible POST times since upgrading to Ivy Bridge and my new motherboard. It takes me on average, all of 13 seconds to go from hitting the power button to getting into Windows. Sometimes it happens so fast that I literally do not have time to hit the delete key in time to get to the BIOS screen. This may also be a reason why some are having such a hard time getting into the BIOS. I know, grasping at straws - LOL!

I'm just glad that for me, the problem has been resolved. I was massively bummed when I first got this keyboard (which I love), and wasn't able to get into the BIOS. Corsair really should have issued a warning to prospective buyers that there was a problem. To say that the problem only affected a few motherboards was a bit self serving - it's not like ASUS is a two bit player in the motherboard manufacturing arena. I suspect that they account for a huge percentage of motherboards sold, followed by Gigabyte. So to shrug off the problem was in my way of thinking not very professional. Oh well, I guess it's always easier to place blame elsewhere. Hopefully, everyone who is currently experiencing this issue will soon have it resolved.

Edited by Danchyk

Actually, the only thing that changed when I downgraded to 1.07 was that the Ctrl key was disabled. I was still not able to enter the BIOS. So I went back to 1.18. Maybe there was an error in the update process.

I guess I will have to stay a not-so-happy customer with a desk filled with an extra keyboard until ASUS rolls out another update.

I still blame Corsair though, because they did something in the 1.18 update that broke its detection in BIOS.

for p8z77-v it works at POST but when it reaches windows install page it stops working. since i kept confusing both keyboards while partitioning now i am getting a bootmgr missing and cant get into windows install page any more after taking the disc out and giving it another run.

for p8z77-v it works at POST but when it reaches windows install page it stops working. since i kept confusing both keyboards while partitioning now i am getting a bootmgr missing and cant get into windows install page any more after taking the disc out and giving it another run.

You supply way too little information for me to understand what is your problem, but I googled "bootmgr missing" and found something that might help you. You should try this.

Just FYI,

I have an older ASUS MB (P7P55 D Evo) and I can get into bios with K90 firmware 1.18 BUT I have to use a specific DEL-key of the numeric keypad, the other under the Insert-key is not working.

What else - the numeric-keys above QWERTY-keys are not working in Bios, only keys in numeric keypad are working. This is independent of the state of Numlock -key.

Otherwise K90 is working during POST and in Bios.

Just FYI,

I have an older ASUS MB (P7P55 D Evo) and I can get into bios with K90 firmware 1.18 BUT I have to use a specific DEL-key of the numeric keypad, the other under the Insert-key is not working.

What else - the numeric-keys above QWERTY-keys are not working in Bios, only keys in numeric keypad are working. This is independent of the state of Numlock -key.

Otherwise K90 is working during POST and in Bios.

Very interesting, I never tried using the numpad during POST. I'll try it now. Thanks for sharing :)

UPDATE

Sadly, the numpad doesn't work in POST with my P8Z68-V PRO :( It was worth a try.

Edited by Splitlocked
Follow-up

Asus Posted a new BIOS for the Sabertooth X79 yesterday 8/15/2012

BIOS 2104 and this corrected the problem with the Sabertooth X79 and the DELETE key at booth.

Hope this helps all Sabertooth X79 users.:biggrin:

Good to hear that they are fixing the issue. I'm looking forward to a fix for the P8X68-V PRO.

Just updated to the new firmware (1.19) that is available on the product page (http://www.corsair.com/en/vengeance-gaming/vengeance-gaming-keyboards/vengeance-k90-performance-mmo-mechanical-gaming-keyboard.html) and this has fixed the problem for me, on an ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3. It's strange that this new software/firmware isn't advertised on the forums yet , it's usually the other way round (and the fact that it fixes the problem even though Corsair said it was ASUS's problem), but anyway you should all try this new firmware and post results for specific motherboard models.

Hi,

I have an Asus P8z68 deluxe gen 3. I have the 3304 bios and can not get into bios with the K90. I have updated to the new 1.18 firmware. Is there anything else to try to get it to work into bios? Love the keyboard, good stuff.

SEE bubsi 123, going to try the 1.19 tonight and see if that helps, will report back.

-additional question, do I need to delete programs and run the new firmware 1.19 and then software, how do you like us to re install this? (thank you)

Edited by ajflick42

• Corsair Employee
Hi,

I have an Asus P8z68 deluxe gen 3. I have the 3304 bios and can not get into bios with the K90. I have updated to the new 1.18 firmware. Is there anything else to try to get it to work into bios? Love the keyboard, good stuff.

SEE bubsi 123, going to try the 1.19 tonight and see if that helps, will report back.

-additional question, do I need to delete programs and run the new firmware 1.19 and then software, how do you like us to re install this? (thank you)

Uninstall everything (you can save your profiles though by exporting the XML). Then flash firmware and re-install the new software.