Corsair Community

Corsair F Series SDD 128 degrees C

robert3892

As I understand it the temperature reading programs are getting the temperature data from the SMART info off of the SSD. That data may not be accurate or even temperature data at all (obviously this is the case where there is no temperature sensor). Read below for more info.

Interpreting SMART Data on Corsair SSDs

I discovered some very interesting things about SMART monitoring and reporting. SMART as defined by the ATA standard is standardized. However, the structures or methods used by device manufacturers to report SMART attributes and status are not. Although there are some common standards observed across device manufacturers, there are many that are unique to each.

This problem is exacerbated by the fact that many SMART values have what is known as a raw value which is wholly determined by the device manufacturer. This raw value may or may not correctly correspond to a physical unit or normalized value, numbered 1-253. A great example of this is the recent issue of some SMART monitoring utilities reporting SSD temperatures of 156c or more!

Additionally, there are a set of SMART attributes that only apply to SSDs. And, even within these SSD specific attributes, there are variations of the terminology used for these attributes. Finally, to completely complicate things, not all SSD controllers report the same SMART attributes.

Many SMART tools were originally only designed to monitor HDDs. Some current tools are adaptations of older SMART utilities that have been modified or updated to include SSD attributes. Unfortunately, due to the variations of SMART attribute reporting across the many different SSD controllers, it is almost impossible to find a tool that is accurate across all brands of controllers AND that also correctly deals with all the SSD specific SMART attributes.

OK, that makes sense but maybe Corsair could consider adding it in the future to help support Corsair link. Or alternatively if the software senses an SSD it should say not applicable rather than 128C. That temp might scare some customers.

I would certainly be scared. At 128C/262F I could boil water with my SSD.

Sorry for the sarcasm, I could not resist.

I had the same scare a few months back, no worries it's not a true indication of your HDD temp, just disregard this, not sure if their ever will be a fix for this you could use the temp sensors inculded with the kit to get a closer true reading for now.:cool:

Archived