Corsair Community

Simple Question

XCLx321H

Sirs: I'm installing a second SSD (Force Series) into my PC. I already have the first one set-up w/AHCI, RST, And the 2.4 Firmware. I need to Format the second drive before it will operate. I could use the Windows Formating Wizard. But have heard a manufacturers Disk Utility would be better. Do you have such a Utility or could you recomend one. Also w/ a Readme ??? Thank you for the Information............

Sirs: I could use some Instruction on the Process of Formating my second SSD. Do I just go to Disk management and Format the SSD's Drive or does the SSD need to be Intitilized. I have to admit I'm a little bit unsure about what needs to be done. This info means a lot to me I Thank you.

Sirs: Question Answered, The instruction's were simple enough. The Windows Wizard took me through the install. And since I already set AHCI, RST, and Installed the Firmware. Intitalizing and Formating was all that needed to be done. Thank You for the reply. Now for a third SSD!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Sirs: I have a rather simple question on compatability, Can I mix SSD's. I currently have two "Force Series" SSD and would like two add another Non- force Series (i.e. SATA III Pro Force Series).. Or another Compatable SSD

Any advice ??? Thank You......

Sirs: I still have the same compatability question, I have 2 Force Series SSD's and would like to use a few more "Force Series 3 SATA" SSD's. What I need to know is are they compatable. Do they also use different Firmware, which would not make the swap possible. Can I use these two SSD's together... Thank You....

Sirs: I still have the same compatability question, I have 2 Force Series SSD's and would like to use a few more "Force Series 3 SATA" SSD's. What I need to know is are they compatable. Do they also use different Firmware, which would not make the swap possible. Can I use these two SSD's together... Thank You....

If you mean can you use a Force 2 and Force 3 SSD on the same PC at the same time, yes you can. I've had SSDs from three different manufactures on one PC at the same time, and that worked just fine. It's just like having different HDDs in a PC.

But if you mean using a Force 2 and a Force 3 SSD together in a RAID array, no that won't work. It might work, but the performance would be odd, and mixing different SSDs in a RAID array is not recommended.

I also am not sure what you mean by "swap". If you mean replace a Force 2 with a Force 3 in a PC, yes you can do that, but if you do that you should clear the BIOS when you change the SSDs, and then reset your BIOS back to the settings you need. Many boards let you save a copy of your BIOS settings in "profiles" that makes restoring your settings easy.

Any difference in firmware does not matter as long as you use the SSDs as single drives not in a RAID array.

Every storage drive in your PC, SSD or HDD, has it's own firmware. It controls the drive but does not control anything else. A video card has firmware, a sound card has firmware, a DVD drive has firmware. Some people call the BIOS of a mother board firmware too. That is very generally correct, but the difference between a boards BIOS and a drives firmware is huge. I don't understand why you are concerned that different firmware in devices is a problem, unless those devices are combined into one device, like a RAID volume. Even then, they would probably work together fine.

Archived