Corsair Community

TX850W Fan rattle

BestDamnFool

I've got myself a new toy and everything is just lovely. I am still running the stock fans in my 800D while I research some new fans to purchase, I love a whisper quiet unit.

Though I've had some fan rattle from the power supply since I first turned it on three days ago. It seems to go away for a while, sometimes its loud and sometimes its just barely audible.

No sound seems to be made when I manually spin the fan but I confirmed its the fan when I held it and powered the unit on. Also, you can hear the fan "clicks" taper down as the fan slows once you cut the power. If you tap the unit you can usually make the noise louder, this leads me to believe the fan is wobbling or something to that effect. No clue really

Now I know I can request an RMA, but I would rather be a baby about it and tinker with my new toy for a while. The real question is this... does this have the potential to turn into a serious issue?

The real question is this... does this have the potential to turn into a serious issue?

The absolute worst case scenario is the fan would eventually stop and the PSU would overheat. If that happens it should shut itself down before any damage is done to the PSU.

If you are still with in you place of purchase returns policy i would take it back and get another one. Or you can have it RMA'd and once you get your RMA number you can have one cross shipped with a credit card to eliminate down time.

Archived