Corsair Community

Using 2 HX1000's on Gigabyte board

Cisco-Red

First off i want to say Corsair makes great products. All i have ever owned from them is their ps's but i'm sure everything else is just as great. Now saying that i have had issue's with my first hx1000, it was the power cable. I believe it is to small of a gauge wire. I mean i had 480's in tri sli and had been playing some pretty intense gaming all day long and all of sudden a billowing of smoke came from behind the computer, the cord had burnt in half which was laying on my desk and across a few other wires and needless to say it made it's brand on everything. I almost started to run out of the room and get fire extingusher but it calmed down after a minute. So i immediately went on Ebay and picked up a 12 gauge cord as a matter of fact i bought 3 just in case, dont want that to happen again, damned near set my desk on fire. The second time (same ps) on the 24 pin connector the two yellow wires that are side by side close to the end on the side of the memory melted the whole connector ps cable connector and m/b connector. Had to rma the board and put another connector on the ps also i pulled back as far as i could on the sleeving and added about a 10" piece of 14 gauge wire to those two yellow wires and crimped new ends on and stuck em back in the connector. That was about 6-8 months ago and i haven't had a problem since. There is so many variables in there that i cant say for sure it was the ps. I bought it off Ebay like most of my stuff so somebody could have changed out the cord as far as the 24 pin connector could have been the board. Since then i have bought 2 more hx1000's and i wouldn't own any thing else. They handle all i can throw at it and laugh. Well i came on here to ask this question, I bought a ud9 board which has the 2 extra molex power connectors and the extra 8 pin atx. I want to use or actually i am using the second ps for the molex connectors and i took one of the pci-e set ups from the original ps and hooked it into the second ps, the second 8 pin cpu connector on the board i plugged into the second ps also. Now my ?. Is the second ps doing anything? I mean of course the 24 pin connector is not plugged in and i know that's where you jumper it to check to see if the ps is working so what's up? Now i leave the 2nd ps switch on and when i press the power button the second ps's fan spins and i did check the atx12 and the molex connectors and they are putting out voltage not sure about amps. I'm just a little confused. i guess you dont need the 24 pin hooked up when you have the 8 pin atx connected. Some one enlighten me, please. Thank you, Paul.

Paragraphs please :)

So if I read that right, did you plug in a PCI-e cable from PSU # 1 and plug it directly into PSU # 2?

Note: The HX1000W has two EPS/ATX12V cables (one is hard wired, the other is modular), so there's no reason that you'd need two PSUs. Also, my HX1000W has a power cable that's tagged as 125V 13A.

No, sorry i confused you. i disconnected at the #1 ps 1 set of pci-e cables that go to one card and plugged them into #2 ps. That cable rating is not to bad. I bought 125v 15amp. Your wire is probably 14 gauge.

I didn't have anymore sockets to plug into ps#1. I have 2 pumps 19 fans, 10 fans on the 2 rads. push pull. I guess i could have done some rearranging on the socket panel of #1 ps. I just figured with all that hooked up to 1 ps it was quite a load. the 2 atx' plugs the molex on mb, 3 480's, 2 pumps, and all the fans and other peripherals. I'm sure it could handle it but why strain if you dont have to.

i wonder why #2 ps is showing voltage and the fan spins without being jumpered? Wierd. Oh i had some old connectors layin around and i just made me one of those Lian Li style. Don't see much difference though. Oh well, now i'm right. I guess.

Archived