Corsair Community

RAM Upgrade - Suggestions?

Seranin

Hi there, my system configuration is in my profile, for everyone's convience ;): I'm looking upgrade and increase my RAM and have a few questions. I'm definitely looking for 1GB or more. More if its cost efficient. Does my motherboard support dual channel when using all 3 DIMM slots? Yeah I know, go ask Asus, but even their FAQ is horribly translated and vague at best. If it can support 3, should I buy three identical ram sticks and use those? Or would it be better overall to buy TwinX? My system's FSB runs at 333mhz so should I try and get 2700? I have 3200 right now because that's all the shop had when I was finishing up my machine, but if I can save a little money by getting the appropriate speed RAM that would be great. What, if any, would be a good match for my mobo? I'm of course concerned about compatibility and the chart on Asus's website seems horribly outdated. I thank you for your time and helping me to give more money to Corsair :D: , thanks! -Sean

Welcome to the forums! Definitely get TwinX, as they are pre-tested. Not sure about the triple stick dual channel, as I've seen some boards that support it and not others. Might want to check over at [url]www.asusforums.org[/url] for an answer to that one. Personally, I'd get PC3200, as your next system will be able to take full support of it.

By FSB is running at 333mhz at the moment, doesn't the RAM have to operate at exactly the same speed or lower then the processor? I don't plan on upgrading my processor anytime soon and if my above statement is true, looking ahead I won't need 3200. Any particular models you would suggest? And how about the dual channel? Can I run 3 identical sticks of RAM (say 3 512s) and still get the dual channel support? Would getting two sticks of TwinX be more stable in the long run? Thanks for your help, -Sean

You can get the PC3200 and just underclock it to PC2700 speeds, or just go right for PC2700 memory. Personally I'd get the TwinX1024-PC3200XL right now, as it's the best of the bunch. Ram speed is always lower than the CPU, I think you're asking about the FSB. Ultimately it should be some denominator of it.

Archived