Corsair Community

H80 thermal paste spread and temps?

Markiller21

Hi, i got my H80 for few months and im not sure im getting right temps with AS5 thermal paste.

I got mi i5 2500k in idle mode (1.6ghz) at 30-32° room temp 22-24° with fortress 02 case in push/pull (fan take air from inside case, and i got a reference vga card) with fans at 1300rpm (rheobus). Full load 49/52°

So i decided to move from as5 to mx-4 thermal paste , but is there a right method to spread it?

Vertical line ? rice dot? Credit card spread?

Also seems my temps change about 1-2° at 1300-2500rpm i think its not normal?

I dont see why you are worried about your temps. Idle temps are great and so are your load temps. At 54c you are just over half of the CPU's thermal limit.

I would leave well enough alone.

As far as thermal compound method goes, i would check each manufacturers website for instructions. They all seem to have their own method.

Personally i always use the pea sized dot in the middle method. It has not failed me once.

Also seems my temps change about 1-2° at 1300-2500rpm i think its not normal?

Why would this not be normal. Your CPu is going to heat and cool depending on load and programs that are running. It's all completely normal!

I dont see why you are worried about your temps. Idle temps are great and so are your load temps. At 54c you are just over half of the CPU's thermal limit.

I would leave well enough alone.

As far as thermal compound method goes, i would check each manufacturers website for instructions. They all seem to have their own method.

Personally i always use the pea sized dot in the middle method. It has not failed me once.

Why would this not be normal. Your CPu is going to heat and cool depending on load and programs that are running. It's all completely normal!

Maybe i explained my problem not well, i complain that when i run prime95 the temps lower only by 2-3° 1300rpm to 2500rpm, not asking why the temps was changing :)

I complain about others getting 26-30° idle and 46-47° full load with same i5 2500k + h80. My results seems too much high for a 1.27vcore @ 3.3ghz thats all :)

As per reply by peanutz94, different thermal compound have different application method but the thermal compound is there just to make sure that the cooler has a good contact with the CPU.

My advice, just make sure that there is a thin layer of thermal compound on the cooler - either spreading it across with a card or simply mashing it over the CPU. Either way, may sure that the cooler is firmly locked down onto the CPU to ensure good contact.

As per reply by peanutz94, different thermal compound have different application method but the thermal compound is there just to make sure that the cooler has a good contact with the CPU.

My advice, just make sure that there is a thin layer of thermal compound on the cooler - either spreading it across with a card or simply mashing it over the CPU. Either way, may sure that the cooler is firmly locked down onto the CPU to ensure good contact.

It would work spreading thermal paste with a finger with protection ?

When I said mashing I didn't mean use your fingers :eek: but I meant once the thermal paste is on the CPU, use the heat sink ie the H80 cooler to press onto the CPU and twist it a little - see the AS5 guide page 6:

Once the heatsink is properly mounted, grasp the heatsink and very gently twist it slightly clockwise and counterclockwise one time each if possible

Archived