Corsair Community

Somewhat high H50 tems.

flaviz

Hello, I have had the H50 cooling my cpu for a while now at stock settings. I have never quite been happy with the temperatures that I am getting. It usually idles around 38°C. I am using Artic Silver 5 thermal compound and have tried all of the most common ways of applying it (cleaning and purifying each time) and have found the small dot in the middle to work the best. Recently, I installed an H50 into a friends computer who has the exact same processor, clocks and voltages as mine with a similar case and his processor idles at around 10°C lower than mine. I plan on getting two fans and using a push/pull system soon but this should not affect it too much. I have also considered lapping but am hesitant. Also, the pump and fan are both running at full power. I do not understand why mine is so much higher. I can provide more info if needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I plan on getting two fans and using a push/pull system soon but this should not affect it too much. I have also considered lapping but am hesitant. Also, the pump and fan are both running at full power. I do not understand why mine is so much higher. I can provide more info if needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

lapping can help a great deal if done correctly, 2 fans on the rad also help more than you think.

you also have to take into account ambient temps but aside from that, the closer you can bring the water temp to ambient the better and more airflow will help. also better contact with the cpu which is where lapping comes in. you can check the flatness of both surfaces to see if that needs attending to before you start sanding.

personally i like to use a thin paste on a piece of glass and check for flatness on the other side while pressing the heatsink/waterblock down on the paste.

you can see if the corners of the cpu prevent better contact or the block itself if you dont see alot of copper sitting flat on the glass.

good luck..

Archived