Corsair Community

H70 Temps

jezberry

Hi guys.

I live in the UK, specifically London where it has been snowing. My room is cold, I do not know the ambient temperature but outside it has been -2 to 3 degrees.

My setup consists of a kandalf full tower case, Asus rampage formula III motherboard, Intel i7 - 950 Bloomfield and corsair 6gb dominator cas 8 2000mhz and of course the H70 watercooler.

My problem is as follows:

I installed the H70 correctly to the best of my knowledge. My idle temperatures have been 39-40.

Using real temp 3.60 I get: 35 33 37 35 as minimum and when using prime 95 I get 60 59 60 60 as maximum.

This is not even overclocked yet. I would be greatful if someone could advise me if these temps are too high. I think they are. If someone has a rampage III mb could you tell me your settings.

I believe I have disabled the CPU fan header in the bios, so that it is not controlled. In asus suite it reports fan at 1390-1395 rpm. The pump is connected to cpu fan header.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys

I would have to say the water block is not SEATED on the cpu right.!

you may want to take a look at this

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=349957

This is a video i did installing H70..... and my temps

right now my temps are 35, 32, 36, 32 i7 930@3.660 ghz and my computer as be on for 2 days.

system temp in speed fan- 22c

cpu temp- 24-c

H70 pump speed-1406 RPMS down to 1383

It does not show this in the video thats way iam going to do it agin.. BUT

MAKE sure ALL the teeth ARE IN and seated on the water block .With it being black on black its hard to see ! BUT A LOT of people have this problem.. And the block just is not seated the way it should . And theres lies the temps your seeing..

I hope this helps

Your load temps read very well, 60 degrees load with Prime, no problems there.

Your fan is at max speed though, why set it to max?.. noise for one, but the Q-Fan on an Asus motherboard will monitor the fan thus less speed at idle.

so the cpu isnt overheating, but at idle its late 30's, but I've heard the i7 chips run a little hotter than dual core.

Perhaps you need to look at the case, do you use intake/exhaust on the H70, what case fans have you got running. I don't think youve got anything to worry about, but yes the idle temp could perhaps be lower. edit.. have u considered the push/pull configuration..ie add a fan on the other side of that H70 radiator.. it works very well.

I'm averaging 42 Celsius with my H70 on a non-overclocked I7 950 while Idle. Are my temperatures to high? (I've swapped both fans for Enermax Magma) using them to push the air out of the case rather then in. I also have both fans running at only 1/2 since they are plugged into the fan control knob.

h70.jpg.c9e64e2fc89a3eefbc23a80230cd1723.jpg

I just reseated the h70 and moved the fans to a normal fan headers (1500-1700 rpm) and the CPU is now idling around 37 degrees. So speeding up the fans dropped it by about 5 degrees. I'd say my ambient temp is around 70-75 degrees. I don't know how people are getting 30 degree for their CPU.

I tried not to post to your message as it has been answered so many times before in this forum, so a search will provide you with the comfort you need.

Firstly, ambient temperature is most important when reporting temps, unless you use refrigeration your system will never be below ambient temps, that is the temp of the air being drawn into your PC from outside.

Secondly, there is no convention about measuring CPU heat, some use the temp reported by the mobo others report the heat from the CPU threads, personally I use the temp from my hottest core which is core 1. And normally 15c higher than that reported by the mobo.

Thirdly and lastly! nobody gets a prize for having the lowest temps, i7's will run without any issues up to 100+c ideally any temp below 85c will cause no problems at all. Temps will depend on load, the H70 is great under load and average at idle.

The case and how its airflow is set up will have a bearing on the temp, as will what other hardware you have in the case such as hot video cards, also will where you live, the ambient temp and air humidity will all affect to some degree the temp you will show in any reporting program.

In other words no two systems are the same, and comparisions with somebodiy elses system is very subjective.

At idle 30+ to 40+ is fine, at full load 50+ to 60+ is fine even full load at 70+ is fine.

Bottom line is don't obsess about the temps, if your computer is working fine without crashing or other wierdness then enjoy it and do something productive with the machine.

David

I tried not to post to your message as it has been answered so many times before in this forum, so a search will provide you with the comfort you need.

Firstly, ambient temperature is most important when reporting temps, unless you use refrigeration your system will never be below ambient temps, that is the temp of the air being drawn into your PC from outside.

Secondly, there is no convention about measuring CPU heat, some use the temp reported by the mobo others report the heat from the CPU threads, personally I use the temp from my hottest core which is core 1. And normally 15c higher than that reported by the mobo.

Thirdly and lastly! nobody gets a prize for having the lowest temps, i7's will run without any issues up to 100+c ideally any temp below 85c will cause no problems at all. Temps will depend on load, the H70 is great under load and average at idle.

The case and how its airflow is set up will have a bearing on the temp, as will what other hardware you have in the case such as hot video cards, also will where you live, the ambient temp and air humidity will all affect to some degree the temp you will show in any reporting program.

In other words no two systems are the same, and comparisions with somebodiy elses system is very subjective.

At idle 30+ to 40+ is fine, at full load 50+ to 60+ is fine even full load at 70+ is fine.

Bottom line is don't obsess about the temps, if your computer is working fine without crashing or other wierdness then enjoy it and do something productive with the machine.

David

Thanks David, I guess my main reason for bringing this up is this doesn't seem to make much more difference then the Coolermaster Aircooler I was previously using, I thought the Corsair Coolers were suppose to be a significant upgrade from air cooling.

Just saw someone post today where their motherboard headers weren't providing enough power. As soon as they connected it to a fan bus their temps dropped 12 degrees. May want to try a different header if you haven't already.

Thanks David, I guess my main reason for bringing this up is this doesn't seem to make much more difference then the Coolermaster Aircooler I was previously using, I thought the Corsair Coolers were suppose to be a significant upgrade from air cooling.

I moved from the stock Intel i7 coller to the H70 so I can't comment about other coolers, after research, I chose the H70 based on reviews and a bit of logic! Personally I initially found the H70 noisy as the fans were running at 2000+ rpm, when throttled back with the resistor the noise was less but the heat went up marginally.

I fitted Excalibur PWM fans and can now control their speed, so what can I advise, I work close to my case so noise is important at present my ambient temp is 27c humidity is 69% heat at core 1 is 39c (mobo cpu reads 25C) the H70 fans are running at 1155rpm which can't be heard above my case fans.

I know from experience that if I run prime or intelburn my CPU will not exceed 61c and the fans will run up to 2200 which is noisy but not to the extent it will drown out the TV or make it hard to talk on the phone.

So you need to focus on what you want to get out of your system, not how it compares to some other persons system, really all coolers use air as the primary heat exchange, water allows you to move the radiator away from the cpu but all water system use a radiator in place of heat pipes to exchange the heat with the ambient air.

David

Archived