Corsair Community

Windows 7 64 install hangs

robnar

Make sure your using the Latest BIOS which officially is F13 ;):

I can't upgrade the BIOS via Q-flash or @BIOS. Q-flash because it won't recognise my flash drives and @BIOS because I can't boot Windows.

I just tried installing Win7 32bit to see if there was a difference, but it hung at the same spot.

I can't upgrade the BIOS via Q-flash or @BIOS. Q-flash because it won't recognise my flash drives and @BIOS because I can't boot Windows.

I just tried installing Win7 32bit to see if there was a difference, but it hung at the same spot.

If you have a floppy drive and disk lying around could you use that to flash the BIOS? Have you tried FreeDOS? What about a CD?

On my main computer I use a floppy disk to update the BIOS, when I'm updating the BIOS for other people I usually use UBCD and go into DOS, then read the BIOS file off a flash drive or CD, whichever works.

I don't know too much about this problem, but I wouldn't do anything else until the BIOS is fully updated, possibly even the latest beta.

If you have a floppy drive and disk lying around could you use that to flash the BIOS? Have you tried FreeDOS? What about a CD?

Thanks for the tip - I had tried a CD without luck, but just downloaded FreeDOS and am now at F13. I chose the latest stable to ensure that i was flashing correctly with FreeDOS. If need be I'll go to F14a.

Now back to the install... again.

You are using AHCI/Native Mode ?

You are using the Yellow Intel SATA ports 0-3 etc ?

Post your BIOS settings with pics ;):

AHCI is set for all options - SATA 3 (2 ports), SATA 2 (6 ports), ESATA (2 ports).

I'm using port 0 of the SATA 2 (but in the past have tried the SATA 3 ports with no change).

Ok cool, You need to Disable the other ports in BIOS, and just use the Intel SATA 2 Ports

The eSATA ports are the Jmicron Controller and the SATA 3 ports are the Marvell controller

Never had to before, but then I've never had this trouble before...

Another install on the way!

Just for sh!ts and giggles, I installed Vista Business 32bit. It worked OK! Now I'm really confused...

That's very strange. Nothing screams hardware conflict more than this, but it's very difficult to narrow it down. I don't think the Force drive is the source of the problem in this scenario and didn't you say you tried another HDD as well?

I would do what garifox is suggesting though. Load Failsafe defaults in BIOS, then disable all your controllers except the Intel.

Glad to hear you got the latest BIOS installed at least.

Ohh cool you got it working, yeah that is strange lol, Yuck Vista Business, LOL :D:

Yeah do what Synbios mentioned load failsafe defaults, Also make sure HPET is set to 64-bit for a x64 OS, Suspend type set that to "S3", Disable all SATA ports except the SATA Intel 6-ports, Enable all USB settings, Disable SMART

That's very strange. Nothing screams hardware conflict more than this, but it's very difficult to narrow it down.

Glad to hear you got the latest BIOS installed at least.

I should have the recommended RAM today, so will swap this and see if it is the conflict.

Thanks for your help on updating the BIOS - I'll carry FreeDOS around with me for this in the future.

Just an update - I swapped gfx cards, replacing the Palit GTS250 with an old Inno3D 9400GT and Win7 installed.

So now I have to work out why the new card worked for 8 hours or so before failing and failing only with a Win7 install...

Hardware troubleshooting, gotta love it!

Thanks for the help!

Archived