Corsair Community

GS800 PSU powering on, off, on, off, on, off

feduppsu

Have two computers of the same specs. Each had 500W power supplies. Was having issues so I bought new GS800s. Installed in one. Everything works great. Installed in the other a few minutes ago and when I turn it on it starts to power up for about 1/2 a second and then all power quits (power supply fan and light go out). It will start back up about 1-2 seconds later and repeat (and restart, die, restart, die, restart, die).

I tried the CPU fan test. I could already see the case, PSU, and CPU fans coming on but went ahead and unplugged and replugged the CPU and case fans in. No joy. Incidentally, the CPU fan connects to the MB, not the PSU.

How would I reset the BIOS when I can get no power?

when you reset the bios you have to unplug the PSU from the wall!!

you misunderstood about the fan. modern day motherboards look for a signal back from the CPU fan to continue booting. if the fan is plugged into the board with a 4 wire connector as it usually is, if there is no RPM signal from the fan to the motherboard it tells the PSU to shut off.

resetting the bios is done 2 ways, remove the battery for a couple minutes or use the cmos jumper on the motherboard for a few seconds. look for it in your manual but either way there must be no power to the PC when you do it either way.

No love.

Tried jumping it. Tried the screwdriver trick (mentioned in the MB manual). Even pulled the battery. Any suggestions on how to get this thing to realize my CPU fan is fine? I didn't do anything with the CPU fan when replacing the PSU.

Archived