Corsair Community

Overclocking and temperatures

FlawlessSoul

A few weeks ago I got my H70 to replace a pretty good air cooler (Titan Fenrir) that was cooling my 920 overclocked to 4Ghz (191x21)

The H70 was great, however I was still reaching 85 degrees after minutes in Prime95 or IBT - eventually reaching over 90 degrees.

Now the curious thing is, I ended up going all the way to 200Mhz baseclk, and kept the multi to get to 4.2Ghz. Temperatures have gone down 5 degrees across the board on the CPU, and the northbridge is no hotter. Prime95/IBT seem to be mirroring this 5 degree drop, or better, topping out in the low 80s.

Pleased as I am, I'm rather confused. Nothing else has changed in the machine, voltages have actually stayed the same, the AS5 on the CPU has been on there less than a week, and there was a space of a few hours between before and after tests.

Anyone got any ideas why this is?

The AS5 has been on there less than a week, I don't think it has cured yet. I could understand the curing dropping a few degrees, but dropping 5+ AND under a higher overclock?

I the changed the thermal grease yesterday to AS5 on my H50 after 3months of use. Initially the temps will around 5-6deg higher than before. Today I saw a 5 deg drop at full load on a slightly higher overclocking.

Much as I like the h50, I've decided to take the plunge into full water-cooling. I ordered Swiftech Edge H230 which is a pretty decent water cooling kit. Although I still dont have the guts to buy water-cooling piecemeal.

I the changed the thermal grease yesterday to AS5 on my H50 after 3months of use. Initially the temps will around 5-6deg higher than before. Today I saw a 5 deg drop at full load on a slightly higher overclocking.

Much as I like the h50, I've decided to take the plunge into full water-cooling. I ordered Swiftech Edge H230 which is a pretty decent water cooling kit. Although I still dont have the guts to buy water-cooling piecemeal.

Weird. I literally changed the bclk from 191 to 200, dropped multi to 20x and booted to Windows. The temps were fine, and it was stable, so I rebooted, set it to 21x and tested it again. Between having the 4Ghz (191x21) and 4.2Ghz (200x21) I didnt do anything else, it was the space of half an hour.

Weird. I literally changed the bclk from 191 to 200, dropped multi to 20x and booted to Windows. The temps were fine, and it was stable, so I rebooted, set it to 21x and tested it again. Between having the 4Ghz (191x21) and 4.2Ghz (200x21) I didnt do anything else, it was the space of half an hour.

Temp readings may have been incorrect the first time

Archived