Corsair Community

CMT6GX3M3A1866C9 correct timings?

Alakanakas

I can't even get my single kit of CMT6GX3M3A1866C9 to show up properly @ stock settings on my Rampage III Extreme. I have a weaker processor, the core i7 920. The MB automatically underclocks to 1066 which is fine with me. All other settings are on stock(like yours). BIOS and Windows 7 64 bit see only 4 gigs of the 6. CPUZ shows all 6. I've went through a lot of combinations of manual voltage settings and timing settings.

Last resort is to open up the case, loosen or tighten the h50 cooler, or worst case, check for bent pins. But before I do that I just want to confirm that this particular set of RAM can run on stock auto settings with just the underclock of 1066.

I have the latest BIOS 1005.

The processor is not overclocked. I'm kinda scared to try with only 4 of the 6 gigs being recognized.

If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to know just what settings you have your single set of CMT6GX3M3A1866C9 at so that I can verify that there is nothing left to try before I open up the case.

Alakanakas could you give me a screenshot of SPD timings that show up in PCU-Z for CMT6GX3M3A1866C9. I currently have 6 GBs of CMT6GX3M3A1600C7 (see here: http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/2085532/1/CMT6GX3M3A1600C7?h=7d5e49) and I'm unsure if 6GBs of CMT6GX3M3A1866C9 will be a good match for my 6GBs of CMT6GX3M3A1600C7 at lower timings than the stock 1866 MHz.

You see my current memory is CL7 @ 1600 MHz and this new one that I'm looking at is CL9 but @ 1866 MHz and I just can find the info on the lower speeds anywhere. If you need to upload pictures somewhere set up an account with dropbox like I have. It's free and the absolute easiest way to upload and share photos and other documents. I'm not trying to advertise it, but just in case if you have trouble uploading the screenshot.

Certainly Atas. Here.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w129/AANC/SPD.jpg

Mine is on the left and yours is on the right. It seems the only difference is in the XMP profiles.

Now I just need some input on my problem. I hope shanu can get back to me on that.

I already have my magnifying glass ready. I really hope I don't have to check the pins.

Thanks Alakanakas! Much appreciated!

Like you said, it appears that they only have different XMP profiles, but it makes it impossible to know how they will work together at say 800 Mhz!? Does the CMT6GX3M3A1866C9 have an XMP profile for 800 Mhz? If so, what is it? Is there some way to check? Will the CMT6GX3M3A1866C9 run at C7 at 800MHz? It's a bit cheaper than CMT6GX3M3A1600C7, so I'm worried it's either inferior or just dumbed down. I could just be paranoid too.

I also noticed that I actually have CM(G)6GX3M3A1600C7 not CM(T)6GX3M3A1600C7. Does anyone know what the difference is?

Hey, I found a 6gig corsair memory kit online that costed around the same price as a 12 gig corsair memory kit and I had no idea why.

Personally, I chose this one because it was cheap enough and had the timings I wanted. Not that it matters now since I can't get BIOS and Win 7 to recognize the last 2 gigs.

I tried tightening and loosening the h50 cooler. I tightened to the point where I heard creaking noises and I loosened to the point where the cooler was starting to slip off and I tried different tightening schemes in between those 2 extremes. I also tried enabling XMP after each adjustment. Still only 4 gigs being recognized.

I guess on Saturday I'll open it up and check for bent pins. :(:

CPU-Z still sees all, but that's still only a small consolation.

Like you said, it appears that they only have different XMP profiles, but it makes it impossible to know how they will work together at say 800 Mhz!? Does the CMT6GX3M3A1866C9 have an XMP profile for 800 Mhz?
XMP is for one speed only. You'll have to set the speed / timings / voltage manually. However keep in mind there's more to compatibility than just BIOS settings. They could be using different ICs. Also, it's never recommended to mix kits because of the various compatibility issues that can arise.

Will the CMT6GX3M3A1866C9 run at C7 at 800MHz?
It's possible, but not guaranteed.

I also noticed that I actually have CM(G)6GX3M3A1600C7 not CM(T)6GX3M3A1600C7. Does anyone know what the difference is?
It's in the FAQ area: NEW Memory Part Number Breakdown. In short, the T has the connector for the LEDs for the Airflow Pro.

BTW, as for uploading pics, you can upload them right to the post :)

Sorry to hear that you're still having problems Alakanakas. Check for bent pins and if nothing works RMA the memory. Google the forums and find a memory that other users are successfully using in your motherboard. That''s the best way to avoid disappointment. I personally avoid new motherboards, especially first revisions as they are the biggest source of problems of any PC component, particularly if you like to overclock.

Wired thanks for the detailed answer. I guess I'll try the memory when it arrives, but I've got a bad feeling. And there I was thinkin' I bagged myself a bargain. Of well, live and learn I guess.

I was having a bad day yesterday. I'm not as pessimistic about it now. The PC seems pretty stable. The only time it crashes is when I enable XMP and allow it past 1066. Since I'm using a locked processor that's to be expected. There's still the possibility that I can overclock and then the higher frequences will sort the detection problem out themselves, but I'd need someone to walk me through all that.

Tomorrow I'll take apart the entire motherboard apparatus, cooler, processor, graphics card, etc. I'll check the pins and if all goes well...

I'll unscrew it, make sure the backplate isn't touch anything it shouldn't, then the first thing I'll put in this time will be the processor, then the cooler, then the ram.

If all doesn't go well, well... anybody know the safest object to use on bent pins?

Wow. A little positivity can really go a long way. I opened up the case took everything apart.

Then I checked the pins. ONE bent pin was the cause of all my trouble. I took a pointed end of a paper clip and bent the pin back into place.

I put everything back together making sure that the cooler was fitted properly this time.

Booted up and with DEFAULT settings and DEFAULT timings, CPU-Z, BIOS and Windows report all 6 gigs.

I feel really good now. I'm not going to overclock till next year anyway. I only built this computer about a month ago, i'll give it another 5 before I start pushing it.

Thanks for your time and help guys. :biggrin:

Archived