Corsair Community

4GB or 8GB?

ALXKEX

Just wondering if it's worth for me to buy 8GB kit of memory or if i should stay with 4GB?

I will not do any clocking on my computer, just wanna play games with maximum quality and performance. Wanna prepare for games like "Battlefield - Bad Company 2" and don't want to upgrade any more later on.

In addition to what Wired stated, adding more memory to your system increases the likelihood that you'll have major problems with your system. This is because the new memory modules that you would have purchased now are extremely likely to be of a completely different revision with completely different IC chips than the memory that you have now. Your existing DDR3-1333 modules were designed to operate at a high 1.8V - but new memory modules are designed for only 1.65V or even the standard 1.5V operation in compliance with Intel's maximum voltage recommendations for its i-series CPUs with an on-die memory controller (Intel recommends 1.65V maximum). This mismatch will likely result in significant instability in such an upgraded system. Besides, the nForce 790i chipset's companion memory controller prefers higher DDR3 memory voltages for enhanced stability.

Archived