Corsair Community

Init rom problem for Asus Rampage 2 Extreme

Overclocked my cpu @ 4mhz and memory to 9 9 9 24 1t @ 1866 2 nights ago everything was fine, played cod waw after oc for about 1 hour. Last night when I turn my comp on it won't post, LCD says CMOS err and then init rom! WTF!! Tried clear CMOS went back to bios set everything to default except raid but still stuck at init rom! Tried clear cmos plenty of times went back to bios tried everything from bios1 and 2 still the samething init rom stock! Tried taking out memory and video card samething happens! Init rom. Any of you here have the same problem? Any suggestions please. Thanks!

Bump!! Ok so maybe nobody here has this problem yet but I'm telling you man if you'll have this warning init rom on your asus rampage 2 extreme start crying!! LOL. Seriously! Hehe. I was fixing it last night and I'm zeroing in the memory or my hdd. Hopefully it's between the two and not my mobo or CPU!! Fingers crossed lol. I'll buy a cheap ram today and test it tonight. I'll also try it with one different hdd, hopefully everything will work! This init rom is really a scary warning! Because your comp will not boot to windows!! But at the same time interesting if your enthusiast! Lol. I read a lot online about this problem and init rom warning is not only specific to one problem! It could be your CPU, mobo, graphic card, ram, hdd, cd drive or psu! Man that's a lot of testing! But hopefully it's between the two my ram or hdd! Hehe. I'll update this weekend. I hope you guys with asus rampage 2 extreme mobo will not have this problem cuz it's really pain in the butt! I can't believe this is happening in a $450 mobo! I got an xfx 780i mobo with e8500 in my other rig and I overcloked it like crazy and never had this init rom problem! So Asus this is really bad for your company!! Especially that you call this mobo extreme? Ehh tsktsk!

Perform a hard reset to clear any possible BIOS stack corruption issues.

1. Shut the system down
  2. Remove the power cord
  3. Remove the CMOS Battery
  4. Set the CMOS_CLR Jumper to On
  5. Press the power button for 10 seconds
  6. Let sit for 10 minutes
  7. Set the CMOS_CLR Jumper to Off
  8. Insert the CMOS Battery
  9. Insert the Power Cord
  10. Restart the system
  11. Enter the BIOS
  12. Load Default Settings
  13. Save Default Settings and Exit
  14. Shut the system down. Insert a single stick of memory in the first slot (Closest to the CPU)
  15. Restart the System

Ok finally it's working again! It was my raid 0, the other hdd failed! Right now I'm running it on IDE again. Man that was scary! I thought my comp is toast lol! I'm still thinking if I want to go back to raid 0, this configuration is very sensitive,I think if you are overclocking and having this bsod's, locked up's and restarts I don't think raid 0 is the way to go? Anyway I'm happy right now that she's up and running again! But this init rom is pretty scary stuff especially if it's your first time seeing this warning. I mean you spend all this money on building your rig and one day you turn on your computer and all you see is a blank screen! Hahaha trust me you'll freak out!

Set the system to stock. Install the RAID. Install the OS, antivirus, with all drivers, etc. Install productivity software and other custom software. Create an image of the system. I use Acronis True Image.

Then, with a fresh image of the system stored away on some removable form of medium transfer you are ready to do your stuff. This is the best method of creating a personal fault tolerant system with RAID 0.

Ok finally it's working again! It was my raid 0, the other hdd failed! Right now I'm running it on IDE again. Man that was scary! I thought my comp is toast lol! I'm still thinking if I want to go back to raid 0, this configuration is very sensitive,I think if you are overclocking and having this bsod's, locked up's and restarts I don't think raid 0 is the way to go? Anyway I'm happy right now that she's up and running again! But this init rom is pretty scary stuff especially if it's your first time seeing this warning. I mean you spend all this money on building your rig and one day you turn on your computer and all you see is a blank screen! Hahaha trust me you'll freak out!

I did that derek thanks, but right now i have a problem. When i set my system to raid in the bios exit and save. when it boots up it will not post. its stock on init rom again with that blank screen! Hit cmos_clear again and then back to bios set it to ide save, exit then it boots to windows again. But everytime i'll set it to raid in the bios it will always goes back to that blank screen! init rom. Any ideas what causing this? I cannot set her back to raid because everytime i set it to raid it will always end up on that blank screen with init rom on the lcd poster. So for now i'm stock! Any ideas? Thanks.

Right now it's running @ 3.7 mhz, ram settings 9 9 9 24 2t @ 2006 mhz but for now no raid. The weather is warmer now so i'll stick to 3.7. Hope you guys can give me ideas to fix that raid thing.

1522491321_cpuzvalid.thumb.jpg.2ac723c261319e168919107208ec5ad8.jpg

Hey derekt i have a question if you don't mind. I was reading about failed raids, TBH i'm new to this so i need help. I want to clean install my raid 0 but i need help on how to reformat the arrays maybe it will fix that problem in the bios? i hope. Thanks

Finally i fixed the raid issues:mad:! What i did was went to computer management in vista and then to storage, click disk management went to each hdd's properties and change them all into dynamic disk. Reboot and then went to bios set it to raid, reboot again and then it posted, press ctrl i and set to raid 0! Now im back to raid 0!:D: but it was really tough:mad: did a lot of researching! Anyway i thought i'd share this experience of mine to you guys with rampage 2 extreme. cheers

• 1 month later...
Finally i fixed the raid issues:mad:! What i did was went to computer management in vista and then to storage, click disk management went to each hdd's properties and change them all into dynamic disk. Reboot and then went to bios set it to raid, reboot again and then it posted, press ctrl i and set to raid 0! Now im back to raid 0!:D: but it was really tough:mad: did a lot of researching! Anyway i thought i'd share this experience of mine to you guys with rampage 2 extreme. cheers

Hello Wakwak455 !!! I have the same problem. I lost my RAID during overlocking. I believe i set PCI freq to high ( 110 mhz).

i spent whole day on ASUS forum. But nobody knows about this issue.

I guess it's new issue or happens very rare. I can not go anywhere when it set to RAID. I switched it to IDE did install fresh copy of Windows.

And finally found your post. I will try to do the same thing tomorrow.

If it's works you will be my saver.

I can not convert HDD to dynamic. I have Vista 64 home premium.

It can not be done by my OS. Any other idea how i can get my RAID back???

Archived