Corsair Community

Retro: pc2700 and pc3200 in Presario

Lethe

A retro question:

I upgraded memory in another machine and took out a 512 DDR PC2700. So I wanted to stick it in a Presario I have with Athlon 3000+ processor running XP Pro. The Presario has existing 512 RAM, which turned out to be 512 PC3200. So I wanted to upgrade the Presario to 1 Gig.

Here's what happened:

1. Put the PC2700 in the empty slot. So the PC3200 is in one slot, the PC2700 in the other. Computer boots but doesn't see both, just one. Result: Says it has 480 (less than 512 because it has integral video) rather than 980+

2. Pulled both and put the PC 2700 in the slot the original PC3200 was in. Now it only has the 512 plus an the empty slot. Result: Computer boots and finds the PC2700.

3. Put the PC3200 in the empty slot. Result: Computer won't boot.

What is happening? Isn't the computer supposed to find both 512's and run at the slower speed of the PC2700?

Is there a way to get the computer to recognize both DDR's at the same time?

Thanks.

The Compatibility Site says PC2700. The memory in there was PC3200 and worked fine. The PC2700 in the machine now works fine. I have read that if you put one of each it should work but just use the slower speed. Is this not true? Or, Is there something I should do to make it work?

Thanks.

Without specifics, e.g. the part # and the specific Presario model #, there's no guarantee.

There's more to memory compatibility than just the speed. Assuming the sticks won't have issues w/ each other, yes, you should be able to run the PC3200 stick @ PC2700 speeds, but there's just too many variables to consider without more information.

Archived