Corsair Community

EVGA LGA 775 790i And Corsair XMS3 Compatibility?

Staples

Hey everyone, working a new system build and have ordered everything just waiting on the case. I want to make sure there aren't any compatibility issues with the EVGA LGA 755 790i and the new Corsair XMS3 (1600mhz triple channel 6GB)? I'm going to be running the Intel Q9650 and want to make sure everything should run smoothly. Any feedback or answers would be greatful!

Thanks

Hey everyone, working a new system build and have ordered everything just waiting on the case. I want to make sure there aren't any compatibility issues with the EVGA LGA 755 790i and the new Corsair XMS3 (1600mhz triple channel 6GB)? I'm going to be running the Intel Q9650 and want to make sure everything should run smoothly. Any feedback or answers would be greatful!

Thanks

That DRAM is for i7 and X58. You would lose Dual Channel mode and there is no Triple Channel mode for that board or your CPU.

bump, buddy of mine just got his pc to post with using the 6GB triple channel memory. It sees it as dual channel and only runs at 1333mhz, so there's a little bit of tweaking that needs to be done, but all in all it seems to be compatible.

EDIT: Got the computer to post at 1600mhz under dual channel, so the triple channel memory is compatible with the quad-core q9650 and the i790 board.

There's no reason why it wouldn't be compatible, however running 3 sticks should downgrade it to single channel mode, unless it's running that "fake" dual channel mode intel came out with. Can't remember the name of it off the top of my head. I'd run some memory bandwidth tests with 2 vs 3 sticks.

Asynchronous Dual Channel (Flex Memory Mode) doesn't require the twinning of RAM sticks, but you don't get the full benefit of synchronous Dual Channel either.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-011965.htm

Rules to Enable Dual Channel Mode

To achieve Dual Channel mode, the following conditions must be met:

* Matched DIMM configuration in each channel

* Same Density (128MB, 256MB, 512MB, etc.)

* Matched in both Channel A and Channel B memory channels

* Populate symmetrical memory slots (Slot 0 or Slot 1)

Flex mode

This mode provides the most flexible performance characteristics. The bottommost DRAM memory (the memory that is lowest within the system memory map) is mapped to dual channel operation; the topmost DRAM memory (the memory that is nearest to the 8 GB address space limit), if any, is mapped to single channel operation. Flex mode results in multiple zones of dual and single channel operation across the whole of DRAM memory. To use flex mode, it is necessary to populate both channels.

So, you get a "Flexibility Mode", where you get a Dual Channel Mode running synchronously added to a single channel running asynchronously and this mode will not perform as well as four sticks running in Synchronous Dual Channel Mode.

Archived