Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX questions

wikeke

hello,

i'm piecing together a computer and thinking of Asus P5Q Deluxe and 1 set of TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX.

first newbie question:

is TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX faster than TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX? the lower the cas latency the faster right? i'm guessing yes, but it's curious that the TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX is cheaper now, so it makes you wonder.

i've been reading a lot about matching memory, and how the batch or revisions or whatever should be the same...

i've read the "want to buy more ram (but revision are diff now) " sticky...so i understand what i need to check.

so if i got a set now, (and then when budget allows) get another set about 6 months--1 year later, what are

the chances that i can get a set with the same revision?

so the question is, how often does corsair change revisions? i'm guessing if it's something like every 3 months,

then chances are i would have a real tough time matching about a year later.

second:

i've been doing a lot of research, and read that if i got a second set of TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX. (for a total of 4x2gb)

that i would have to lower from 800 to 667...is this lowering normal for all memory when adding another set?

it's kind of the reason why i'm deciding not to get a set of TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF...i don't want to pay pc8500 price,

only to have to lower to 800 if i got another set. (i'd be paying almost double price to seemingly get pc6400)

and finally third:

what voltage for a set of TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX, is it 2.1 as stated on the datasheet,

or 1.9v or 1.8v as many others have it...

sorry for the extra long post...i'm just a newbie that has researched so much, that all the info is confusing and seems

to be conflicting now.

is TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX faster than TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX? the lower the cas latency the faster right? i'm guessing yes, but it's curious that the TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX is cheaper now, so it makes you wonder.
Correct, C4 is faster than C5 by about 3%. Price varies depending on the constantly fluctuating IC market, as well as when the store bought the memory.

so the question is, how often does corsair change revisions? i'm guessing if it's something like every 3 months,

then chances are i would have a real tough time matching about a year later.

Multiple versions are made at the same time. Version can be linked to the IC used, NOT when they were made.

i've been doing a lot of research, and read that if i got a second set of TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX. (for a total of 4x2gb)

that i would have to lower from 800 to 667...is this lowering normal for all memory when adding another set?

Depends on the memory controller, but generally yes.

what voltage for a set of TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX, is it 2.1 as stated on the datasheet
Datasheet: 2.1v

Archived