Corsair Community

Overclock the Q6600 with P5K-Deluxe and Dominaotr 8500 1066 5-15

I've been running my Q6600 B3 at 1333Mhz and the mem at 800Mhz for a year now guess I'm lucky! http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=299251

Many will make 3.0Ghz but there are more that won't in comparison with G0. There are some that just won't do it with stability and I have never seen a G0 that won't make 3.0Ghz. Usually 3.2 is the baseline and I've made 3.4 and even 3.6 on good air.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to put it out there for the O.P, the Q6600 B3 is a dog and always has been... As in, it requires ALOT of voltage to break 3Ghz... So Unless you got some really good cooling or your just not completely sane, a FSB of 333Mhz with Vcore in the 1.4volts range is all I would dare.

I would also keep my memory linked 1:1 till you figured out your CPU overclock. Since using certain dividers with the P35/X38 boards can put unecessecary stress on the NB/MCH and cause your system to fail when your cpu isnt at fault. The goal here is to minimize the point of failures. Although under 400Mhz FSB you shouldnt really have any issues:/

Just to put it out there for the O.P, the Q6600 B3 is a dog and always has been... As in, it requires ALOT of voltage to break 3Ghz... So Unless you got some really good cooling or your just not completely sane, a FSB of 333Mhz with Vcore in the 1.4volts range is all I would dare.

I would also keep my memory linked 1:1 till you figured out your CPU overclock. Since using certain dividers with the P35/X38 boards can put unecessecary stress on the NB/MCH and cause your system to fail when your cpu isnt at fault. The goal here is to minimize the point of failures. Although under 400Mhz FSB you shouldnt really have any issues:/

That means that if i put a native 1066 mem to work at 800 mhz in a system whit a Q6600 at 3.0ghz and the FSB at 1333mhz I get better results in comparison at work in 1066 ghz?

I couldn't break the 3.0GHz barrier even with more than 1,4v (!), FSB set to 333 an tried with RAM 1066, 800, 667 with default RAM voltage and 2,15 instead 2,1, there's no way for me.

I have a very good cooler, Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme as Derek suggested and I'm really fine with it.

Could be the mobo the bottleneck, maybe some voltages problems that makes me lose stability. At first, when I got everything new it didn't boot and acted like when the overclock isn't stable. I had to move the dimms to the black sockets, now I cant choose between black and yellow and at default clocks everything is ok.

@ Unimog: You did the FSB mod to enable the 1333 FSB?

That means that if i put a native 1066 mem to work at 800 mhz in a system whit a Q6600 at 3.0ghz and the FSB at 1333mhz I get better results in comparison at work in 1066 ghz?

I dont think I fully understand your question!? What I was trying to explain was that when finding the max CPU overclock, its best to leave the memory running as low as possbile to prevent it from being the culprit if something end up not being stable.

A high FSB with High Memory frequencies is always better than low FSB and lower memory frequencies, even with tighter timmings with a C2D setup.

For e.g Memory running at 960Mhz 5-5-5-12 2T >>> 800Mhz 4-4-4-12 2T. This, in pretty much any circumstance! In my experience, you need something around a 160Mhz DDR delta in order for the CAS5 latencies to really become superior. This while using the same FSB speeds:)

So 1066Mhz with 1333FSB >>> 800Mhz with 1333FSB.

However, that wasnt the point in my post. Im was just poiting out something to ease troubleshooting.

I couldn't break the 3.0GHz barrier even with more than 1,4v (!), FSB set to 333 an tried with RAM 1066, 800, 667 with default RAM voltage and 2,15 instead 2,1, there's no way for me.

I have a very good cooler, Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme as Derek suggested and I'm really fine with it.

Could be the mobo the bottleneck, maybe some voltages problems that makes me lose stability. At first, when I got everything new it didn't boot and acted like when the overclock isn't stable. I had to move the dimms to the black sockets, now I cant choose between black and yellow and at default clocks everything is ok.

@ Unimog: You did the FSB mod to enable the 1333 FSB?

Try this:

AI Overclocking: Manual

CPU Ratio Control: Auto

FSB Frequency: 333

PCI-E Frequency: 100

DRAM Command Rate: 2T

DRAM Frequency: 667 (for now)

FSB Strap to Northbridge: Auto

DRAM Timing Control: Manual

CAS# Latency: 5

RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5

RAS# Precharge: 5

RAS# Activate to Precharge: 15

TWR: Auto

TRFC: Auto

TWTR: Auto

TRRD: Auto

TRTP: Auto

DRAM Static Read Control: Disabled

Transaction Booster: Disabled Relax 0

Clock Over-Charging Mode: Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled

PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Voltage: 1.4v

CPU Voltage Reference: Auto

CPU Voltage Damper: Enabled

CPU PLL Voltage: Auto

DRAM Voltage: 2.1v

FSB Termination Voltage: Auto

North Bridge Voltage: 1.4

North Bridge Voltage Reference: Auto

South Bridge Voltage: Auto

Advance CPU Settings

CPU Ratio Control: Auto

C1E Suppport: Disabled

Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled

Vanderpool Technology: Enabled

CPU TM Function: Enabled

Execute Disable Bit: Enabled

Intel SpeedStep: Disabled

PECI: Disabled if temps not reported properly set to Enabled

It doesn't boot, only found it stable at 300 FSB x9 with 1,36v, at 310 even with 1,37 or 1,4 it doesn't boot.

I can't understand why I'm the only guy that with a B3 can't pass 2,8GHz, I've seen others with B3 having 3,2GHz stable.

Try with oh, pssh, 1.45-1.5volts on the NB... I think you could need slighty higher NB volts:/

Also, PLL try 1.55-1.6volts... (do not exceed 1.6volts)

FSB Ter. try 1.3volts... (do not exceed 1.36-1.4volts)

I find it odd that you would need thoses higher voltages but you never know.

Yes it's a bit unclear, I apologise.

Ok i'll explain everything, I bought all the hw at the same store and I have a 2 years warranty with everything replaced+single warranty for the single components, so I thought that I was better to buy and let them assebly everything (so I could have the 2 years warranty).

When I got my PC and turned it on it didn't boot, I mean the PC acted like when I have a bad overclock. It turns on, but there's no beep and the GPU fan runs at its max speed (could be the mobo!?).

So i turned the PC off and moved the memory from the yellow slots to the black one and the PC turned on with no problem, then I tried to move back to the yellow dimms and it worked with no problem.

Has the set of suggested voltages worked for you or have you not tried yet?

Again, you just might not have that great of a cpu or the mobo could be dodgy.

What BIOS version do you have?

Try forcing a lower strapping. Set your Memory Strap to 266 and lower your DRAM again to ~800Mhz. If that does not work, then try setting your multiplier to 7 and your strap to 400 with your FSB at 400 and your CPU voltage to 1.45 (for testing).

Results?

Can you do a little experiment and boot OVER 333FSB?

I want you to drop your CPU multi to 8 and bump the FSB to 375Mhz FSB, NB @ 1.45volts!

Try what DerekT said first, if that fails then try what Im recommending:/

Experimentation, as to why your CPU is being a pain, Im thinking. Right now however, my brain isnt in the best of places for that, so Ill refrain from giving out more help till Im in a better mindset.

With higher voltages is the same...

Ho you have an idea to how to find the real bottleneck?

You have two possibilities, one being the mainboard, the other being the CPU. Use a testbed analysis if you can. Remove the CPU and insert it into another mainboard and test. If you gain a higher overclock, then you have isolated the CPU from the issue and the mainboard is the issue.

If I was in your situation and wanted to game, etc. I would sell the CPU and move to a Xeon 3110/E8400 and pull 4.0Ghz out of it. However it depends on your budgeting (if any). If you are intending to use the Quad Core as a server, then 2.7Ghz is better than 2.4Ghz. Something tells me you are not satisfied with 2.7Ghz and I can certainly appreciate that feeling as I would not be either. Personally I have never had a B3 do so poorly, so it might well be the mainboard. Those are good boards but one never knows.

You can very likely sell the Q6600 for pretty much the same price as purchasing the 3110/E8400.

Thanks Derek,

I'm mainly using the PC for multitasking, sometimes for gaming but I finished Crysis in DX10, Max Details and 1280x1024 with a hig FPS average, great experience I could say.

However, I know that a Quad Core with a good system for sure could perform quite better and there's a little voice there that says...overclock and push me higher :D:.

I know someone with a Core 2 Duo pushed to 4,5GHz (9s at Pi) and that have tried Q6600 at 3,6 (as many others) and I really can't understand why my CPU won't perform as good as others, so I guess it's the mobo and that could explain the problem I found the first time.

I can get my mobo replaced, but I can find a real problem, I can't go there and say: Hey could you replace this, it's not good at overcloking :roll:...

Any ideas? I've found it not stable in Win Vista with Prime95 when system freezed, I reinstalled XP and I'm fine. I'll retry with Vista and if the problem persists (already talked with support and they suggested to reinstall and said could be the mobo when it freeze, not CPU as I told them).

Yes i've read them, with ideas I was talking about how to find the system unstable without overclocking so I can ask them for tests and eventually mobo replaced...

However I'll try to find the best way and come back here later.

Thanks to both of you guys.

he has same config I have, a G0 at 4,0 GHz http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=-JJr2Vnfs1w ....

then a b3 at 3GHz, there's something wrong with my mobo I think, RAM is definetlly OK, I don't think is the CPU....I really have to find a way to get a stable mainboard. But why my mobo should have this kind of problems....

http://it.youtube.com/results?search_query=q6600+b3+overclock&search_type=

I would say it is the CPU and not the Motherboard. There are more than a few B3s that are complete dogs. You can not be guaranteed a good CPU though. Just that the G0 have a better ratio of good ones. As well, 4.0Ghz on a G0 is water cooling (or higher) and not to be expected on air cooling.

Yep for sure I would need water cooling, however would be fine for me a 3.0-3.2 GHz in daily use. I my CPU could reach high frequencyes I would lap it for better heat dissipation. I also read about some B3's that didn't pass 2,27 GHz, I managed to get it boot at 2,88 but Windows didn't load, even with high voltages.

With default voltage the pc starts at 310x9, but it isn't stable in Prime where I get it stable only at 2,7GHz.

PS: What do you think about the final results for the my PC look? :D:

Archived