Corsair Community

Using CU blocks with Nautilus

charma

I have read conflicting views on mixing AL rads and CU blocks in a loop; mainly whether the galvanic corrosive effect can be controlled or stopped.

Based on the approved 3rd party blocks list sticky, it would seem there is no problem using CU blocks with the Nautilus and the fluid included in the kit.

Can someone confirm this?

I am looking at the Swiftech line in particular.

If running a mixed metals loop are fluid changes more frequent?

Would a product like Feser One protect better against corrosion in this case?

Thank you.

1) yes need to use PG ( propylene glycol 5-10% with distilled water ) when mixed metals are in loop

2)swisscheeze are using alu in their products with so called Mil Spec coatings, yes need protection.

3)maintenance on mixed metals depends on type of water used? tap, distilled, spring, deionized, rain.

4)IMHO best use PG prestone Lowtox in white bottle with distilled water less poisonous then EG

The coolant mixture isn't based on saying that CU and AL are in the cooling loop.

The Corsair HydroCool, Cool and Nautilus closely match the 33% PG coolant and 66% Distilled Water. Why? Because the ratio of CU surface area inside the cold-blocks and the ratio of the AL in the other cooling components dictated this protection level.

If by chance a double sized HX is used, the ratio will change to accommodate the difference.

Running at 5% PG is very risky for the corrosion would take place sooner than later. 10% still isn't near the safe zone, however there are those that run that extreme. 24% would be pushing the mixture limit for protection before a flush is needed yearly. While 27~33% is the overall safety zone for keeping the corrosion and algae under control and keeps the cooling loop happy and even the quieter.

Running with tap water is a complete no-no since the tap water impurities will use up the coolant mixture inhibitors quickly and provide nearly no protection at all. This holds true even in an automotive vehicle. ;):

This protection was evaluated and quality checked in a certified lab for the Corsair cooling products. Deviation from the real life and extreme use lab tests raises the risk levels greatly.

Im going water soon and after a bit of reading (and knowing water a bit) I wouldnt use simple distilled or water. The metals and elements in tap water are CONDUCTIVE. Use BI-distilled water. Thats distilled twise to remove the conductive elements of water. Water just like oil when pure is NON-conductive. There are planty of cheap $9 to $20 premixed bidistilled non conductive fluids out there that also prevent algae build up and corrosion. Made just for water coolers.

Automotive coolant is conductive. Spill it on your pc and you didnt save any $ in the end.

Gotta admitt though, no garuntees there. Thats luck. Spill conductive fluid on my pc isnt soemthing Im gonna chance. Not when nonconductive fluid is so cheap. I could fill the corsair with $20 and lasts for few years just top of every few months. Im not going to flush it till I see a reason to like temps rising.

Its all opinion though, I mean some still use tap water (shutters).

Archived