Corsair Community

Corsair TWIN3X2048-1800C7DFIN G with Asus P5E3 and QX9650

DRen72

This past week I put together a new rig with an Asus P5E3 Deluxe and Intel QX9650. I'm using the Corsair TWIN3X2048-1800C7DFIN G DDR3-1800MHz RAM.

My problem is that I cannot get a stable 1800MHz overclock due to the RAM. Windows posts at 1800MHz FSB, but all memory testing fails in a matter of seconds. At 1600MHz it is 100% stable. I bought this RAM expecting it to perform as advertised but I'm thinking the Asus BIOS being new and all may need some tweaks.

In the BIOS I tried manually setting it for 7-7-7-20 and 2T with 2.0 volts, 450x8, but no luck. I've also seen various online reviews of this RAM and it should work at 1800MHz with no problems. Can anyone assist with getting this setup running at 1800MHz as it should?

Thanks, here goes…

AI O/C Tuner = Manual

CPU Ratio Control = Manual

Ratio CMOS Setting = 8

FBS Strap to North Bridge = AUTO

FBS Frequency = 450

PCIE Frequency = 100

DRAM Frequency = DDR3-1800MHz

DRAM Command Rate = 2T

DRAM Timing Control = Manual

CAS# Latency = 7

RAS# to CAS# Relay = 7

RAS# Precharge = 7

RAS# Active Time = 20

RAS# to RAS# Delay = Auto

Row Refresh Cycle Time = Auto

Write Recovery Time = Auto

Read to Precharge Time = Auto

Write Recovery Time = Auto

Read to Precharge Time = Auto

Read to Write Delay (S/D) = Auto

Write to Read Delay (S) = Auto

Write to Read Delay (D) = Auto

Read to Read Delay (S) = Auto

Read to Read Delay (D) = Auto

Write to Write Delay (S) = Auto

Write to Write Delay (D) = Auto

DRAM Static Read Control = Auto

DRAM Synamic Write Control = Auto

Ai Clock Twister = Auto

Ai Clock Skew for Channel A = Auto

Ai Clock Skew for Channel B = Auto

Ai Transaction Booster = Auto

CPU Voltage = 1.3 (Note: I also tried 1.4)

CPU PLL Voltage = Auto

FBS Termination Voltage = Auto

DRAM Voltage = 2.00

North Bridge Voltage = Auto

South Bridge Voltage = Auto

Clock Over-Charging Voltage = Auto

CPU Voltage Damper = Auto

CPU Voltage Reference = Auto

North Bridge Voltage Reference = Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled

PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled

Then under Advanced…

CPU Ratio Control = Manual

Ratio CMOS Setting = 8

C1E Support = Disabled

CPU TM Function = Enabled

Vanderpool Technology = Enabled

Execute Disable Bit = Disabled

Max CPUID Value Limit = Disabled

Thanks again for any assistance you can offer.

Btw…This is BIOS revision 0601

You are overclocking your system. For testing the stability of the DRAM and to isolate the DRAM from the system issue you must remove the overclock. Then set the DRAM to DDR3-1800MHz at 7-7-7-20. DO NOT set the Vdimm to 2.0V!! The default voltage is 1.5v. You are driving .5v higher through this DRAM.

So, set to default CPU, set to 1800 7-7-7-20 @ 1.5v and run Memtest. If any errors occur, remove one stick and test the sticks singly.

You have to isolate the issue of the instability and then work on installing a stable overclock.

Results?

Thanks, but I'm confused now. First, I can't not overclock and use the 1800MHz bus. The board just doesn't work that way. If I set the FSB back to 1333, the BIOS removes the option to run the RAM at 1800MHz, so thats not possible. Also, the Corsair RAM is designed to run at 2.0volts at 1800MHz per the Corsair web site and all the review sites.

I appreciate the response, but are you from Corsair?

Thanks, but I'm confused now. First, I can't not overclock and use the 1800MHz bus. The board just doesn't work that way. If I set the FSB back to 1333, the BIOS removes the option to run the RAM at 1800MHz, so thats not possible. Also, the Corsair RAM is designed to run at 2.0volts at 1800MHz per the Corsair web site and all the review sites.

That is a new BOARD/DRAM and I have yet to work with them. It would seem that they are not yet optimized to natively support the DRAM speed at 1800Mhz. I missed the Vdimm settings as well. Please chalk that up to new hardware as yet untested by me. Thanks for the heads up on this information. Sometimes the informations comes the other way. Hopefully you are not too frustrated with helping another with new hardware. :D:

You may wish to read this thread.

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=62626

I appreciate the response, but are you from Corsair?

No, I am not from Corsair. They seldom frequent this forum. You would be better off posting Here for their help.

Archived