Corsair Community

Corsair HX620 Ticking sound problem

zinc

Hi

I have purchased a Corsair HX620 power supply and it has just arrived. I put it on a Antec tester and a couple of old hard drives to test it was working before fitting.

It is working but it has a very load consistent ticking noise coming from the supply itself and its not coming from the fan.

I think I have a problem with the power supply has anyone else had this problem?

Hi technoguy

I believe it is a safety feature of the power supply. If you don't have enough load on the PSU, fans, hard drives etc the safty feature will kick in and it will start clicking. What the minimum load is to stop the clicking I don't know. As I increased the amount of load by adding fans and drives it went away and the PSU is now very quiet. Hope this helps.

thanls for the reply, I have added 2 hard disks this morning but the sound is same, it sometimes stop but I noticed it comes back with mouse clicks and also if I scroll a webpge it becomes continuos and inline with the scrolling, there is an extra fan which is not connected at the moment, I will connect it tomorrow and see if that makes a difference but the sound wasnt there earlier so its hard to believe that its a safety feature of the power supply.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I have just bought an HX620 and I connected it all up to my system (A64 3800+, radeon 9800 pro, CD, 4x SATA HD, audigy and fans) to replace the existing PSU and there was a very loud clicking noise as soon I turned it on. I'd say it was about 2Hz in frequency and at least 40 dB(A).

At first I thought it could be a cable caught in a system fan but it is DEFINITELY coming from the HX620. It's just too periodic to be a physical obstruction inside the PSU. I turned it off and tried it again with just the mobo and video card connected to eliminate variables and the same clicking...

Suffice it to say I am not using the power supply until I know the reason for the most alarming clicking noise.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

• Corsair Employee

I would check the fans in your system to be sure, you can also stop the fan with a pen or pencil and see for sure, but I have no problem replacing the unit for you.

Please use the RMA request found in TSXpress or follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! And please note that you are from the forum!

Bulby. Some people who have had the same problem as you, when you stop the fan the clicking stops, have said it was the sticker on the fan in the PSU that had come lose and had caused the clicking noise. Worth a look.

Having tried my clicking HX620 outside of my tower it seems to be the case that the noise is caused by just one of the fan blades touching the side of its housing once per revolution. Either that or one of the bearings in the fan is broken. It's not the sticker, sadly.

I'd have hoped such a thing wouldn't have got through the simplest of testing for my one hundred quid.

Annoying really, I had wanted to put together my new Core 2 system using the PSU over this Xmas week that I have off. All the bits I've bought will have to stay in their boxes until I can get this thing RMA'd. My boxed 8800GTS is like :[pouts:

Archived