Corsair Community

TWIN2X2048-6400C4 in a Asus A7N8X Deluxe ???

WBFAir

Hello, I was wondering if I can put a set of TWIN2X2048-6400C4's in my Asus A7N8X Deluxe MB. I am planning to build a system with a M2M32-SLI MB in a few months and will then swap the RAM out to that but I was wondering if I could use it my A7N8X till then.

Thank you

Hello, I was wondering if I can put a set of TWIN2X2048-6400C4's in my Asus A7N8X Deluxe MB. I am planning to build a system with a M2M32-SLI MB in a few months and will then swap the RAM out to that but I was wondering if I could use it my A7N8X till then.

Thank you

Sorry, but DDR2 modules will not even physically fit a motherboard designed to use DDR1 modules. Your A7N8X is designed for DDR1 modules (which have 184 pins) - but the TWIN2X2048-6400C4 kit consists of a matched pair of CM2X1024-6400C4 modules, which have 240 pins. The modules and motherboard are not even physically compatible, let alone electrically compatible, with each other! Attempting to force the DDR2 modules into the DDR1 slots of your older motherboard will result in permanent damage to both the modules and the motherboard (which will not be covered under warranty)!

And even if it were to fit, you will then run into the limitations of your CPU: With any Socket A platform, you should not run any memory at a faster actual clockspeed than the actual Front Side Bus (FSB) clockspeed of your CPU unless you want to risk major stability issues. (This means that if you have a "266MHz" FSB CPU such as a 2400+, you should not run your memory any faster than 133MHz/DDR266 without risking severe instability problems.)

Archived