Corsair Community

memory upgrade

joe shmoe

ok i have seen the "we do not recomend using mismatched memory moduals"

but that is what i have. to start i originaly installed cmx512-3200xlpt x2 for 1gig. i recently purchased cmx1024-3200c2pt x2 all sticks show 400 MHz i can put all 4 sticks in the system and it boots and runs correctly but in post the memory shows ddr200 at 128bit. win xp showes 2.88 gig memory installed so i know that it is all being detected. i was wondering if i shoudl worry about the hit on the Mhz in the boot. i would like to use all the memory but how much of a performance increase would i get with 2 gig at 400 MHz? i already know that some games load a lot faster with the 4 sitcks.

system:

asus a8n- sli deluxe

160 gb sata drive

2x evga 6700gts

550w psu termaltake

2GB is recommended to gamers with absolutely new graphics cards, who use the highest settings (ram required will be over 1GB, making game use cache on HDD = stuttering)

If you're using video editing: buy proper kits....why cheat with kids ram ???

As far as I know, 2GB is the max ram today w/o issues

edit //

cmx512-3200xlpt x2 - i guess that is 1GB kit..gee...i have that myself (part from -pt) ...they are best corsair can give a customer wanting fast ram !!!

but, you added "value range" cmx1024-3200c2pt x2 (2x1GB !!!!???) to rig

my advice...get rid of the nice 1GB kit..run only on the new 2GB kit...to make 3GB you PROBABLY(havent tested, but my balls say) have to set cas etc to 2.5-3-3-8 2T, ddr400

hope to see you in bitworld soon !!!

both kits are xms twin X matched sets i know that the versions are diferent but i did not know what kind of performance lose was taken due to the ddr200 setting. i attemted to set the MHz to 400 manualy but if failed mem test when booting. the 512 showes a 2.2.2.5 timings and the 1024 just gives a cl2 ? i have 2 256mb video cards installed in sli. video memory should not be a problem with the current games. bf2, half life, fear, all run fine and at max video settings.

the 2-2-2-5 you're seeing is the SPD setting of the memory, not the actual timings of the memory. Run just the 2 GB pack, better performance, and you're probably not even using 2 GB, let alone 3.

Also, TwinX aren't value packs.

i did not get "value packs"? both packs are twin x matched pairs just not matched to each other. i have seen a lot of posts on other sites stating that the 512xlpt run 2-2-2-5 in 200ddr? not shure that is correct but i have seen it. but the real ? is it better to have more memory or lower memory at faster speeds. i do understand that i might not need 3 gig for the current games but if i have it and dont use it that is better than needing it and not having it correct?:

the value statement was towards Triton's comment.

3200XLs run at 2-2-2-5, 200 Mhz.

DDR400 = 200 Mhz

DDR200 = 100 Mhz

The 50% drop in speed is not worth the extra 1 GB of memory. Sounds like you're playing games. Stick with the TwinX2048-3200PT, find a different use for the XLs.

that was the answer to my naging question!! thanks a lot i guess i will need to go to ebay and see what i can get out of them. i am guessing around 70-90$ hopefully. and possibly getting another pair of the 1gig sticks? or not.

Archived