Corsair Community

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium and 4GB of ram, Possible?

mrajp

I've been looking into a new computer and was pretty much set on getting the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium mobo with either 2 or 4gb of ram. However, I have been reading on this site that many people are having problems with 4gb of Corsair ram with this board. I was thinking about getting either the TWINX2048-3200 or the Twinx2048-3200c2pt. But if I can't run this ram at 400 mhz if i have 4 sticks in it, I have to seriously consider whether or not the added ram is worth the speed hit. I guess my question is, can I use 4gb of those ram types in that mobo at 400mhz, and if not, what is the likability that it will even boot. ASUS support is sketchy on this matter, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Again,

AJ

Well I run a lot of virtual machines at times, whilst a TV application. And I was also looking at doing movie editing as well encoding and decoding of movie files too. How would i find out what the memory controller supports?

• 1 month later...
You can find some good links here:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v2/forumdisplay.php?f=170

IIRC though, you're limited to 400 Mhz for 2 sticks, 333 Mhz for more than that, 2T command rate. That CPU's about a year old, older memory controller.

Well, one can run 3 GB of RAM at 400 Mhz - I'm doing it. Add an extra stick, though, maxing out your DIMM slots and your system will automatically post at 333 Mhz. Nothing you can do about it. Velocity Micro Tech wrote me that this was normal, and they stated while the motherboard will accept 4 GB of RAM, only 2.5 to 3 GB is recongized and used by Windows XP. The rest is used by the PCI bus or hardware. Sounds strange but it's true. I have been told this will change with VISTA, however. :):

Archived