Corsair Community

Why would FlashVoyager 256 Mb crash?

zweitze

Hi all,

After 8 months of flawless operation my FlashVoyager stopped working. Even the EZ Recovery reported errors.

In the end I decided to bite the bullet and reformatted the drive. Again, EZ Recovery failed, but Windows Format was OK (Windows 2003).

I still have two questions:

1. Assuming this is not normal behavior, I wonder what factors may contribute to crashing drives? (I remember from old TTL chips, "when it works the first 20 seconds it works for the next 20 years").

2. Windows now reports that only 248 Mb is free, on a 256 Mb drive. This could be reserved for a FAT32 table, but I don't recall it being so big. Can anyone confirm this, or do I have some bad "sectors" nowadays?

Thanks for any clarifications!

Oh, one more thing: before deciding to format, I did a long search for recovery tools, but found nothing. Windows check disk just hung on the drive. Just for reference, what is the tool of choice when your drive is breaking down? Thanks!

• Corsair Employee

Please try and format your Flash Voyager with Corsair EZ-Recover Utility. Please note; this will not recover Data; it’s made to recover the FAT table for the Flash drive.

But First if you need to recover some data there are some third party utilities available that may help you if you have some data you need to recover from this site.

If you still have problems, lets get it replaced. Please use the RMA request found in TSXpress or follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Hi RAM GUY, thanks for your time.

As I stated earlier, EZ Recover was totally useless. It just stated "Failed", no matter what I tried. I guess it's not designed for diagnosis.

Thanks for the links to data recovery tools, but for me it was too late. Where EZ Recover was unable to reformat, Windows had no problem. Now EZ Recover states "Success" every time, go figure.

Thanks for the offer to replace. Since I'm based in the Netherlands, I prefer only to do so when something is really wrong - is this the case when disk capacity only 248 Mb?

Thanks in advance.

Archived