Corsair Community

Will these work well together

Tom714

I have bought the asus A8N32 - SLI Deluxe motherboard and the AMD 64 X2 CPU I am running a 0 raid setup with two 10K rpm sata raptor drives.

I have two sets of twinx:

1) original set "twinx1024" 2 x cmx512 3200XLPT XMS3208 v1.1 2-2-2-5

2) Newly purchased "twinx1024" 2 x cmx512 3200C2PT XMS3202 v5.2 CL2

I am wondering if these two sets will work together and how well they are matched?

BTW the sales rep at Fry's said the the CL2 means it is 2-2-2-5 latency? :sigh!:

Also I have a question about the motherboard memory slots...

There are two pairs of slots. One pair 1 black one blue and a second pair, one black one blue.

Question: do I use one twinx pair in the blue and one pair in the black or one pair in the first black and blue set and the other pair in the second black and blue set?

Configuration is as follows: Dimm A1 Dimm A2 Dimm B1 Dimm B2

Any help apreciated.

1) 3200XL - the XL means 2-2-2-5 timings

2) 3200C2 - the C2 means 2-3-3-6 timings

THEY ARE NOT RECOMMENDED TO BE IN THE SAME SYSTEM WITH EACH OTHER

CL2 doesn't mean 2-2-2-5, XL does.

As for the slot configuration, read the manual.

You could try with booting with the 3200Xl type and set them manually to Wired suggested settings 2.5-3-3-7 and DDR333 and Command rate 2T( just to be safe) raise the DDR voltage to 2.7. Save to bios -- Powerdown,then add the 2nd pair of dimms and see if it will boot, if it does memtest it for several hours . It will be trial and error but indeed it's heavily non adviseable to use 2 different pairs on an AMD64 rig With 4 dimms 2T command rate for stability and DDR400 could be possible. (but in your case it will be a long shot)

And the Guy at Fry's is either way a nOOb or you misunderstood. CL only indicates the Cas Latency which indeed is 2 the other figures are :

CAS Latency: 2.5 (NOT 2)

RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3

Row Precharge (tRP): 3

Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7

I would try these settings to see if will boot. Good luck you will need it !!

Otherwise try to bring back the 2 pairs and get a 2 gig set

Archived