Corsair Community

MSI K8N Neo2 problem that just won't die.

neonightmare

I set up a MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum system last year with an AMD 64 3200+ CPU. At the time I bought two 512M Corsair ValueSelect dimms. They weren't stable in dual-channel operation, which I chalked up to them not being a matched pair, and ran the system in single channel mode.

I recently bought a pair of Corsair 512M TWINX dimms and replaced my old memory. When set up for dual-channel, I can't do any better than 1T,3-3-3-8. If I set them to their rated 1T, 2.5-3-3-6 I get random memory corruption problems.

I have tried different ram sockets, increasing the ram voltage to 2.75, and flashing the latest bios from MSI. From reading on this site, it was suggested that the memory controller is on the AMD 64 chip itself, and that could be the problem.

So, I purchased an AMD 64 X2 4200+ cpu and installed it last night. And I still have the same problems. Stable at 1T-3-3-3-8, errors at 1T-2.5-3-3-6.

Am I missing something here? At this point the only thing left to swap would be the motherboard itself. I am not overclocking the system.

Ok, it's finally over.

Replaced:

Ram (Corsair Value select replaced with Corsair Twinx)

CPU (Athlon 64 replaced with Athlon 64 X2 4200+)

Motherboard (MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum swapped for another of same type)

And still no luck, which left:

Power supply. Zalman 400 replaced with Antec True Power 550.

And that was it. :bigeyes:

I thought the Zalman was a good supply, so I didn't suspect it. I don't overclock, and while my video card is a 6800 GT, I only have one of them. But apparently 400 watts wasn't enough.

So folks, watch that power supply. It's a lot cheaper to replace it first.

• 9 months later...

I have spent a lot of time just trying to get my memory to switch to dual channel.

I have two of the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum motherboards. My workstation has a dual 3800+ processor. This workstation was always problematic crashing or locking up during large data transfers, a backup etc. as many as six to ten times a day. It seemed to come in waves.

Like you I was about to order a different MB. Before doing that I decided to call MSI tech support as a last effort to try and clear my issues up. They suggested that I upgrade the BIOS to version 1.C and install the latest NVIDIA System drivers.

Applying both of these solutions and changing my CAS setting from Automatic to Manual 2.5 and adjusting my memory voltage to 2.75, the machine has been solid.

I still would like to be able to use the Twinx Memory in Dual channel mode.

MSI tech support also informed me that the memory controller was a part of the AMD processor suggesting I may have a bad chip!

Have you tried running your system with only one stick of memory? When I did that, before I flashed the bios and applied the sys update, my system seemed to be more stable.

If you are running a dual processor, AMD has a software utility or driver that will load balance the processors. Works! When I installed a large database while listening to internet radio, the radio would really choke. This no longer is the case and I do not have to go into Windows Task Manager to set the Priority or Affinity.

Just some thoughts.

Jim

Archived