Corsair Community

ICUE not recognizing pump RPM, false pump failure? (H170i ELITE CAPELLIX XT AIO)

Hello,

I was checking on something on my motherboard when I accidentally caught and pulled out the pump tach cable while my pc was on. This led to the AIO's LEDs and other fans to start blinking red and the fans running at 100% speed. Upon plugging the tach cable back into the CPU_FAN header, the AIO is still doing the same thing while ICUE shows a "Pump failure" error, claims the pump is at 0 RPM and doesn't display the fans' speed. I tried resetting the commander core, power cycling my system, checking the connections and cords and done a clean install of ICUE but seemingly nothing has had effect. Strange enough if you head to the pump and change the RPM to extreme you can clearly hear the pump working fine with no problems. Headers looks completely fine so I have low doubts that I could have damaged it when the tach cable was pulled out. 

Posted (edited)

So there have been quite a few of these false pump failure issues on the Capellix AIO series since it originally came out. We have theorized the problem is a failure off the internal tach sensor or circuit on that 3 pin connector, which is somewhat unfortunate since it’s not required for the AIO to work at all and that tach wire is there to satisfy the motherboard cpu boot protection feature. However, this is the first time I think any one actually has a concrete moment to link it back. Most users simply power on one day and bam… everything starts flashing red. 

More unfortunate is there isn’t a user side fix for this. As you’ve seen, nothing works to reset it and you can’t control anything on the Commander Core while it’s in this state. You have to contact Corsair Support for a hardware replacement. You don’t have to explain too much. You turned it on, it was flashing red, the pump clearly works and the CPU does not overheat, but you can’t use the controls. They have seen enough of these now to know there isn’t a solution. If you can, ask for the Advance RMA where they ship you a new AIO first on a credit card hold, then you ship the old back and they cancel it. That will cut the down time. Also, when you submit your ticket, make sure you include the purchase invoice for the AIO, a picture of its serial number, and your full name, address, phone number even though those things are on file. It will save you 2-3 days of back and forth later. 

Edited by c-attack