Corsair Community

iCue 4-pin lighting effects wizard won't detect

Go to solution Solved by c-attack,

Hi,

I just added H100x cooler, and now with a total of 4 iCue sp120 rub elite 120mm pwn fans, decided to get the RGB running...

Asus Prime 770-Plus D4 intel motherboard running Armoury Crate.

Installed iCue and commander core XT, connected to USB on the motherboard.

4-pin lighting effects setup wizard comes up with "no fans detected", the fans are running and the dashboard shows their speed. I've had zero luck getting any light action. HELP! 🙂

Further, I have watched YouTube setup videos, read countless posts about issues, no where have I seen you deal with this, surely I'm not the only person on the planet to have this happen?

Thanks

image.jpeg

I have the same problem and can't set it manually

• Like 1

• Solution
On 5/2/2024 at 10:51 PM, mdwflyer said:

pin lighting effects setup wizard comes up with "no fans detected", the fans are running and the dashboard shows their speed. I've had zero luck getting any light action

Try shutting down the PC and flip the PSU off. Wait 30 seconds or hold down the case power button for 10 seconds to drain any residual power. Flip the PSU back on and start normally. This should put the Commander XT into a hardware level check for connections. 

This is a H100x RGB Elite, correct?  All four fan rgb and pump rgb are connected 1-5?  If the pump is #5, try moving it to 1. If the pump is 1, move it to 5. This should not matter at all since the rgb ports are independent, but we’ve seen several users report oddities with the pump rgb header on this model. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, c-attack said:

Try shutting down the PC and flip the PSU off. Wait 30 seconds or hold down the case power button for 10 seconds to drain any residual power. Flip the PSU back on and start normally. This should put the Commander XT into a hardware level check for connections. 

This is a H100x RGB Elite, correct?  All four fan rgb and pump rgb are connected 1-5?  If the pump is #5, try moving it to 1. If the pump is 1, move it to 5. This should not matter at all since the rgb ports are independent, but we’ve seen several users report oddities with the pump rgb header on this model. 

Thanks, I tried the power down as described, nada. 

H100x RGB Elite, correct. I had the fans/rgb connected in sequence 1/1 2/2 etc with the pump rgb on 5, tried putting it at one, nothing.

all software has been clean deleted and re-installed, O/S is up to date, all drivers are up to date. There has to be something simple, 

The fans are clearly running and monitoring through the CORE XT

image.thumb.jpeg.604d187990b1f7337f7d9a79635a3897.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e6d625c35223cd45bf0c6e75a419713a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2d0b2e9f68218707ffe7087a69c3b99e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.14748eb3567236de820baa114ad7403d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5c7d1a8300f604b3a97c5af0cd7eb03f.jpeg

Edited by mdwflyer

Will it let you set up manually?  It’s “8 LED fan series” for the SP-Elite. For the pump it needs 16 LEDs. Not sure if it will offer H100x  as a choice but Hydro X -> XC7 will generate 16 LEDs too. 

• Like 1

Same result, the first pic in the first post "No Fans detected"

Posted (edited)

I don’t know what to suggest at this point. The Commander XT has independent rgb channels, unlike the older series circuit controllers. If one of the fans were bad on the rgb side, only that fan would be affected. I would not expect any controller to have a simultaneous 6 port fail without some type total power delivery problem affecting everything. These H100x Elite RGB models have been tricky with their rgb integration into CUE, but nothing tricky about the SP-Elite fans. You connect it to any RGB port and it should be auto-detected as 8 LED fan. I am not sure where that leaves you. 

It might be time to contact Corsair Support, but I’m not confident they will come to a resolution either. However, I am curious about the new CUE version. Did you update to CUE 5.14 with this new UI before you hooked up the Commander XT to the fans and pump?

Edited by c-attack
Corrected typo on version #
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, c-attack said:

I don’t know what to suggest at this point. The Commander XT has independent rgb channels, unlike the older series circuit controllers. If one of the fans were bad on the rgb side, only that fan would be affected. I would not expect any controller to have a simultaneous 6 port fail without some type total power delivery problem affecting everything. These H100x Elite RGB models have been tricky with their rgb integration into CUE, but nothing tricky about the SP-Elite fans. You connect it to any RGB port and it should be auto-detected as 8 LED fan. I am not sure where that leaves you. 

It might be time to contact Corsair Support, but I’m not confident they will come to a resolution either. However, I am curious about the new CUE version. Did you update to CUE 5.15 with this new UI before you hooked up the Commander XT to the fans and pump?

fwiw, is there any difference between windows 10/11? I'm running 10.

I've not seen or been able to find 5.15 I've only been playing with icue this last week, running 5.14.93

I have a ticket open with Corsair Support, their responses are slow and so far no effective.

When you say hook a fan to any RGB port, what program will auto-detect it?

I've plugged a fan directly to one of the RGB headers, nothing happens

image.thumb.jpeg.ce6e29712785c84812d65c727814cfb1.jpeg

That was a typing error on my phone.  I intended to write 5.14 -- that is the debut of this new User Interface.  I saw one or two people mention some trouble with their Commander Core/XT lighting, but there were not any details to even categorize it.  I also am not sure why this would affect those devices as changes to their main lighting setup were not part of the change.  The big change is renaming "Hardware Mode" to Device Memory Mode and making it a separate operating state within the CUE app via the toggle switch.  That put a lot of older devices that auto-saved data into a different category.  A Commander Core/XT should not have trouble with this, but it's the only string left to pull on.  I'll keep an eye for others.

However, where I was leading to with this question is if you only set this up on 5.14 and never used it prior to that version, there may be a workaround if this problem is setup based only. 

1) Uninstall CUE 5.  You do not need to check the box to "erase all settings", but if you haven't put a lot of effort into your profiles yet, I would delete the settings so you can start over clean after.

2) Download and install CUE 4.33 from the Corsair website.  https://www.corsair.com/us/en/s/downloads

3) Set-up your devices.  You don't need to do much beyond checking everything works, including the Commander XT.  Set a few lighting effects to verify.  If it works here, we have removed hardware or circuit types of defects and it almost surely means this is a CUE 5.14 error.

4) Go back to the CUE website and download install CUE 5.  It will pick up the CUE 4 configuration and you should load into CUE 5 already set up for 4 fans and pump.  

I can't guarantee this will work, but it should help determine whether this is software or hardware.  If it doesn't work on CUE 4, then there likely is some very unusual issue.  No meaningful differences for CUE between Win 10 and 11.  Anything like that would cause problems on the installation, registry, or general app behavior, not very specific device issues like this.  

Don't spend too much time chasing the motherboard lighting.  Motherboard 5v ARGB headers are not controllable through CUE.  It is a competing pathway for gear not made by Corsair.  12v RGB headers are, but not too many things using that anymore.  Motherboard IO shield lighting may or may not be controllable.  Some of the newer boards with complex Polymo lighting (or whatever Asus is calling it) are complex addressable arrays and not controllable through CUE.  Also, when testing devices or lighting make sure you use "Lighting Effects" from the main device tab in CUE.  Don't use Murals for testing.  It adds a layer of complexity for testing and not all devices are Murals capable.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mdwflyer said:

When you say hook a fan to any RGB port, what program will auto-detect it?

A RGB port on the Commander XT.  Those are the 6 fan RGB headers on the other side of the device.  Don't use motherboard RGB ports.  The connectors are not made for each other.  

• Like 1

Ok, I did steps 1-3, was able to manually detected 1 fan, and kept adding until I had 4 fans and 1 pump. Nothing lit up but the correct things are listed for the correct ports. Updated to 5, they are still there, tried auto and manual detect in 5, still would not find anything. Regardless they are there.

I did your power down after every change.

fwiw,  in SDK LightingService.exe is listed now, but no help trying to run from armoury crate either.

all detected under 4.33

image.thumb.jpeg.c4ac6a810e92f618fa5b9fd0a134bd8f.jpeg

Still detected under 5.14.93

image.thumb.jpeg.d05046d4854a1b76e41ad0815885becf.jpeg

I have a 14 year old using this computer quite a bit. I'm quite strongly tempted to flash C drive, and re-install windows. I don't know that he hasn't put something on that's conflicting, but this is kind of ridiculous amount of troubleshooting! 🙂 

I'd hold off on the reinstalling Windows for the moment unless you have another reason.  From my end, the drop back to 4.33 and immediate detection resolution proves this is an issue with the new 5.14 release.  I am not sure why, but it likely is tied to the implementation of the new Device Memory Mode.  Now that the fans are detected, go to "8 series LED fans" and Pump Cap and use the yellow + to add a new lighting effect.  That should turn the lights on.

I don't know what to tell you on the motherboard support.  I stopped trying to troubleshoot or use it a long time ago and prefer the board to stay off and Armory Crate uninstalled.  Your MB is clearly detected, but if all it shows is the two 12v RGB headers, it is of no value to you.  Might as well turn off the Asus plugin and use AC when needed to change motherboard lighting.  

• Like 1

Okay, pretty amazing troubleshoot, everything you've said has happened, except one thing. Not a single LED has lit.. 🙂 

What can be causing conflict to keep it dark??? I'm going to clean delete armoury crate, and do your reboot and see what happens.

image.thumb.jpeg.6e33c9e07b564291bc987fa6c759b89a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9b40533f86d1010f82463865eae80519.jpeg

Ok, lights should be on. Since each fan and the pump is an independent circuit, failure of one device should not take out the others. We don’t see a lot of “all my lights are out” on Commander Core/XT controllers because of this. Give me a couple of hours to go find a Commander XT in storage and run some tests. 

• Like 1

updated OS from windows 10 22H2, 19045.4291 to Windows 11 23h2, 22631.3527

No change in status, won't control lights pressing the yellow tab, running the wizard does not detect anything on any ports.

Taking the box to the computer store I bought the CORE XT, so their tech guys can try swapping out a fresh XT.

I've got the same problem since 5.14.93. Only difference is autodetect finds some of my fans, and lightning is working on those, I have one sp140 that does not autodetect, has been this way since the start, but always could set it up manually, but manually does not work since 5.14. I can connect a detectable fan on the port and than connect the SP140 but those are different  model so not all leds work (only 4). 

Before latest update manually setup worked perfect.

Tried everything above, draining power, but install old 4.x version, is there a link to the previous version of 5.x

You can't go back to a prior 5.xx version.  It's all server side, so no way to pull down the file.  The workaround for mdwflyer was to uninstall CUE 5, then install CUE 4.33 and run the normal lighting wizard.  Then proceed to install CUE 5 again over the top of CUE 4.  The configurations files stay and the lighting config remains intact.  Note this only works for solving a configuration issue.  It did not resolve the end of the line physical lighting issue and we are still working on that.  

I'm glad I went back to the store... Wasn't able to determine what failed first, but the CORE XT and every LED in the machine was dead, go figure!