Corsair Community

Question about H115i RGB PRO XT fan sensors in iCUE

AMLime

I've been using this cooler in my current build for a little while now. I recently noticed some of my fans were kicking up weird and making more noise then usual and was checking the dashboard in iCUE when I noticed that it only seems to be reading one fan? I'm not sure if maybe its reading both fans on the same sensor or what's going on, but both fans are working and moving so the one that says 0 rpm isn't actually the case. image.thumb.png.477c8ea5ba55fc9d0e9f1198e476fc2c.png

Independent fan control on that unit, so it should show both fans as Fan 1 and Fan 2.  

Obviously the 0 rpm reading is false.   The other point of notice is Fan 1 is reading 3400 rpm and it can't run anywhere near that fast.  Most likely this means software conflict or error.  Try the easy solution first and go to the CUE settings gear -> General -> Restart iCUE service.  This cleans up a lot of these temporary conflicts.  If not, quit the CUE app from the task bar and then kill the CUE Service process in the task manager.  Then restart CUE.  

While it is possible the internal fan controller is starting to lose its grip, the overwhelming majority of these are software conflicts.  Make sure you don't run HWinfo or AIDA at the same time without disabling the monitoring of Corsair internal devices.  Some motherboard software can be aggressive, but usually with RGB.  

I tried restarting the service and closing the program and ending the CUE tasks it still is giving the false readings. I'm not sure what HWinfo or AIDA are but I dont see any processes running under those names in task manager. I am using a ASUS x570-pro mobo could there be something in bios making it have false readings or aura crate settings?

You would know if you were running another third party monitoring program — aside from Armory Crate. 

Try approaching it from the other side then. Disconnect both PWM connectors from fan to the AIO controller, then reconnect them. You can do this while it’s running. Often this is enough to correct a wacky reading, but if this becomes a consistent occurrence then it will be time to contact Corsair for replacement. 

This build was a pre bought build and as I'm looking at the mobo the only fans I'm seeing hooked into the fan locations is the case fans. there is a 3 pin connected to one of the top fan controller spots but disconnecting that didn't seem to do anything and the fans for the cooler continued running. Is there a common other area I can look to find were the fans are actually connected at?

Is this problem now consistent from boot to boot?  Software interactions are somewhat random and different fans or values may turn into impossible numbers. If it’s only the two fans on the AIO and they do the same thing every time (fan 1 too high, fan 2 zero), then I wonder about the AIOs fan controller and it’s time to start a support ticket. 

Be aware at some point in the troubleshooting process Corsair will ask you to clean install CUE. It’s up to you if you want to get ahead of them and save 4-5 days of waiting for the next response. It is possible the cooling config file is corrupted. The directions are below and make you export (backup) all your valuable profiles before doing this. It erases everything. 

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025166712-iCUE-How-to-perform-a-clean-reinstallation-of-iCUE

The problem still shows basically the same from boot to boot. Only difference is now after doing the disconnects and restarting CUE service the sensor for the fan that was high seems to be reading more correctly and the other one still reads 0. I may need to just do a fresh CUE install. I'm noticing that its showing a bunch of extra sensors and fans on the mobo that don't exist. Its showing 8 fan sensors on the mobo when i only have 2 case fans plus the cooler fans and w/e fans are on my gpu and psu. Also I did more research for my build to get timelines my cooler is about 7 months from being out of warranty so maybe its just time to start thinking about looking for a replacement anyway?

Another thing I did notice is that if I use aura crate fan controls the mess with my fan speeds it seems to effect the AIO fans instead of them being controllable through iCUE.

4 hours ago, AMLime said:

I'm noticing that its showing a bunch of extra sensors and fans on the mobo that don't exist.

This is normal for Asus boards.  You get a lot of junk values at the ends of the possible range (0C, 127C) as well as duplicates.  The CPUID program CUE uses to fetch this data has a hard time with the Asus Embedded Controller and other programs like HWinfo will note this as well.  

3 hours ago, AMLime said:

Another thing I did notice is that if I use aura crate fan controls the mess with my fan speeds it seems to effect the AIO fans instead of them being controllable through iCUE.

This should not be possible because AC has no way to interact with CUE or the AIO fans.  That lead from the AIO to CPU fan is just a tachometer wire.  It reports a RPM to the motherboard to satisfy the built in 'boot safety' feature.  There is no power or control wire and that was the "3 pin"/1 wire connector you mentioned earlier.  The fans connect to the AIO fan splitter directly.  No motherboard control there.  

The only way Armory Crate can interact with CUE is on the software level as both fight for access to the motherboard bus or other common access points.  This is possible, but it doesn't come up much.  I would continue with the support ticket.  In your CUE settings gear, turn on "debug logging".  The next time the fans give the bad readings, go back and export the logs.  You must do this manually.  Send it in with the ticket.  There may be some clue about the error.  What's bugging me a little is these software interaction issues typically affect a wide range of sensors.  Coolant temp, pump rpm, and anything else in CUE.  For it to specifically target the AIO fans each time while not affecting the pump or coolant temp value on the same device is not typical, so I still wonder if there is a hardware issue.